Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Definition Problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dtarwater
469 Views, 6 Replies

Support Definition Problem

I am analyzing a bridge girder in Robot.  I have added lateral supports and creat a support definition that is fixed only in the UY direction.  When I view my results, however, the supports have a reaction in the FZ, FY, and MY directions when I am expecting only a reaction in the FY direction.  The supports also seem to lower my total moment (MY direction) because when I take them out, the maximum MY is slightly higher.

Am  I creating the support definition wrong?

I have included screenshots of the lateral brace definition, and the results both with and without the lateral braces.

Thanks

Doug Tarwater

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Is there any instability reported during calculations? If it is nonlinear analysis - has it converged?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 7
dtarwater
in reply to: dtarwater

Yes, it says there is an instability of type 3.

Message 4 of 7

This may be the possible reason. Try to check if the boundary conditions you provided are correct. Check releases, definition of other supports etc. Please attach the file if any further help is needed.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7

Could it be reporting this instability because there is only one support in the center of the beam?  Maybe it is slightly out of balance?  Would this cause  the instability and therefore the problems with the support?

Message 6 of 7

The FEM type programs (as Robot) are not able to handle such situations. You have to change the support conditions e.g. restrain the rotation a the support (for the symmetrical beam and load the MY reaction will be 0).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 7

Thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report