Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure verification

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
pevelor
10917 Views, 17 Replies

Structure verification

Hi 

I transferred a file from revit and ran structure verification without any errors or warnings.

However, after meshing (haven't done anything else in between) I get an error which is "No material" and a warning which is " Incoherent mesh on edges".

I tried re-mashing the panels without any luck.

My questions are,

- What is the reason for this error, since I didn't get it on the initial verification?

- Is there any general rule for which settings should be used for meshing?

- What is the procedure to fix errors and warnings?

In addition, I've read the following post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/T-slab/m-p/3185418#M915

which displays a discrepancy in regards to the getting started guide (offset definition pp109)

Which is to prefer?

Lastly, I've read a lot of threads regarding releases lately.

As I understand, there should be some constraints at all support nodes. What is the release by default, and should these be changed or be keep the same?

In advance, thanks a million.

regards

Peder

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tony.ridley
in reply to: pevelor

Pevelor,

Just run the analysis.  Then the error about no material will disappear if you do the verification again.  

As far as meshing goes, the reason you get incoherent mesh is due to small (even tiny) variation in panel geometry (happens alot with revit export).  See the image attached for panel 55.  Its slightly off the line where the two panels on top meet.  So it's better to try and get the geometry correct first.

wall 55.jpg

Just choose some different mesh options until it looks like a nice clean mesh.  You have to balance density of mesh with accuracy of results and calculation time.  

You'll probably find if you just run the analysis and then do another verification you will get a warning about incoherent mesh and kinematic constraints.  Try setting the mesh options in job preferences to iterative, rather than kinematic.  

mesh parameters.jpg

As far as chasing down and fixing errors, just go step at a time.  

Support degrees of freedom are up to the engineer to choose based on anticipated real fixity conditions, no one can make that recommendation for you.  Smiley Very Happy

Good luck,

Tony

Message 3 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

I transferred a file from revit and ran structure verification without any errors or warnings.

However, after meshing (haven't done anything else in between) I get an error which is "No material" and a warning which is " Incoherent mesh on edges".

I tried re-mashing the panels without any luck.

My questions are,

- What is the reason for this error, since I didn't get it on the initial verification?

Make settings like this:

Turn off kinematic links, use Iterative adjustment 

kinem.jpg

(gryed out field settings also important ; element size  - up to you)

mesh.JPG

- What is the procedure to fix errors and warnings?

After above changes ther is only one error in your model :

move indicated point by drag and grop to new location - click on this point \ cross twice (not doubleclick) and drag it to new location

err 41 44.jpg

Corrected file attached.

In addition, I've read the following post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/T-slab/m-p/3185418#M915

which displays a discrepancy in regards to the getting started guide (offset definition pp109)

Which is to prefer?

Decision is yours.

Lastly, I've read a lot of threads regarding releases lately.

As I understand, there should be some constraints at all support nodes. What is the release by default, and should these be changed or be keep the same?

As a default in robot all connections between elements are fixed.

In Revit - it depends on seetings in Revit - usually all are pinned but in your model (at least in the robot model you sent all of them are fixed). So if you need releases on bars please assign them.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 18
pevelor
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

awesome, worked perfectly

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 18
Opel5
in reply to: tony.ridley

Afternoon All,

I'm trying to track down an "incoherent mesh" error, however when selecting the error the offending panel is not highlighted. What display settings need to be selected to highlight it?I have switched off all "mark with colours" display options. Nothing is highlighted.

Trying to track down this form of error when nothing is highlighted is like a needle in a haystack!

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Message 6 of 18
tony.ridley
in reply to: Opel5

It does not highlight the panel.  It highlights the nodes as a blue "line", and the FE's go red outline.

Cheers,

Message 7 of 18
Opel5
in reply to: tony.ridley

Hi Tony,

Yep that's the problem I'm having, the FE's are not highlighting red so it's a complete guess as to which area of the building the error is trying to point to. I've tried tweaking the display settings but can't seem to find a combination which enables the highlight. Any advice is greatly appreaciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Message 8 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Opel5

Movie: http://screencast.com/t/43zhRBem

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 18
MattH37

Hi Rafal,

I have a similar problem. Originally I created these panels in Rhino and then exported as a .sat file and opened in Robot. This has given me the problems described here, so I redrew the panels in Robot from .dxf bars. I've made the changes you highlighted, but as soon as I mesh my panels forget what they are made out of and tell me there is no material. This is getting extremely frustrating!

Please could you take a look at my file and see if you can figure out what's happening?

Thanks,

Matt

Message 10 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: MattH37

tell me there is no material. 

It is corect. Meshing does not apply any properties to FEs. To do so you have to run Model Generation or Calcaultions.

Some remarks:

- do not use kinematic links

-  panels 146 156  are not defined in the same plane and you may get error about Incoherent mesh. To overcome it please set model gemeration tolerance = 1mm

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 18
m.ridi220

I watched your video, but it doesn't work for me! I still have the same errors after that

Message 12 of 18

I tried a lot to sort out inconsistent mesh on edges error. but it's not working. Kindly help me solve my issue. here is the model attached.

Message 13 of 18
msalman.khan0099

Kindly check the model.

Message 14 of 18
Refaat
in reply to: msalman.khan0099

Your model has a lack of precision . You need to redraw the model with more accuracy . Then set the meshing option as below.

Also, I advise you to watch theses webinars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G5NwyDSzxs&list=PLY-ggSrSwbZqow_60fiqJwS69mg1nQMzk

77.jpg

888.jpg

Message 15 of 18
msalman.khan0099
in reply to: Refaat

Dear Sir, 

I tried to model most of the part again but still, I am getting incoherent meshing on edges error. Would you please help me highlight the places where I am making a mistake?. Thanks in advance.

Message 16 of 18
Refaat
in reply to: msalman.khan0099

Still you have some lack of accuracy .

Please try to follow theses steps  :

1. Redraw all  frame elements .
  2. Try to use the same division for all curved members as possible as you can .
  3. Run your model and check the deformation shape .
  4. Put all options of graphical selection (off) except NODES .
  5. Using the nodes to draw panels . draw one by one and check the meshing.

Hope it helps .

055.jpg

056.jpg

Message 17 of 18
msalman.khan0099
in reply to: Refaat

ok, Thank You for the quick suggestions. I will redraw it following the above steps. then I will check it again.

Message 18 of 18

Dear Sir @Refaat , 
I model it again following your kind suggestions and now it's working. It will be very kind enough if you check it for a while if the model is ok or not. Also how to find the required reinforcement or provided reinforcement of dome and curved panels. 
Kindly find the attached file. 

Thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report