Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Beam Releases

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
AJA14
2311 Views, 9 Replies

Steel Beam Releases

Hi,

I am currently designing a steel structure with deck slabs. pinned - pinned releases have been applied to the joists but they seem to be carrying negative moment. In addition, the moment diagram looks irregular and I was thinking maybe it is because the stiffness of the girder is much greater than that of the joist. Why is this happening. Please refer to the attached image.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: AJA14

If you do not mind please attach view of whole structure indicating the element of your interest or send us model.

PLates, Diaphragms there?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 10
AJA14
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

The attached image shows the joists supported on the girder which is supported on two columns at its ends. The panel on top of them is a shell element of 10 cm thickness. I usually study the joists using a shell element and use cladding to study the main girders. Anywyas, I still don't understand the reason for the negative moments in the joists.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 4 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

So ...

Sharp diagram - it depends on mesh - then more refined mesh the smoother diagrams

Negative moments - I guess joists without releases or... check Private Message

diagram.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

@AJA14 wrote:

. Anywyas, I still don't understand the reason for the negative moments in the joists.

I assume the beams are released but the slab is bi-directional and not released along the edges. See the difference.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 10
nsmokrovic

Hi!

I have a similar problem (Picture1) and haven't found the solution in this discussion. Maybe you have some new knowledge. So, if I mark beam as pinned-pinned, why do the results show that there is a bending moment at the one end of the beam? 

Thanks, 

Nikolina

Message 7 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nsmokrovic

Nikolina,

File, please.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 10
nsmokrovic

Here is the link to download: http://www.filemail.com/d/hnrawqbwpvjgidl

Message 9 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nsmokrovic

Quick hints:

- you need to correct model first to get correct results (to get rid of instabilities) - start from deleting releases from bottom of columns - on side of pinned supports

- you need to make this model  \ loadcases or at least cominations converged, otherwise results are wrong

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

Nikolina,

my understanding of this model ; remarks + corrections:

- claddings should not be overlapped \ dupicated on certain areas (in attached model walls and flat parts of roof corrected ; correct arcs roof claddings)

cladingsnik.jpg

- claddings not defined accurately (overlapping by centimeters) also

- releases from columns removed

- Support_1 defined and used

- ry support defined and used to block possibility of bottom chord beams rotations (or modify trusses by your own to block beams rotations)

- Pinned1_Fixed release defined and used to block arc beams rotations

- remodeled bracings  8to22By2 1882 1922to2104By13 2129to2324By13 3031to3037By2 3038to3044By2  - (previously defined bracings are instable)

File :http://we.tl/KIxDdpLqoi

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report