Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectral analysis

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
tony.ridley
1925 Views, 24 Replies

Spectral analysis

Hi,

When running spectral analysis;

I go to Spectral --------->direction definition---------->Resolution of a force into directions--------->Newmark Combination.  I'm only checking X and Y directions, so I choose Group 1 and Group 2.  

Document1_Page_1.jpg

Robot then automatically assigns 4 CQC combinations as shown in the next picture.  

Document1_Page_2.jpg

Questions:

1. Why is only Y direction given a negative sign.  I would expect to see negative X somewhere too.  
  2. When the spectral analysis is run (say X direction only), does the active mass act on the structure in both +X and -X?
  3. If the mass in X acts both positive and negative, then I guess it's the same for the Y direction too.  So why the need for a neg Y case?
  4. If I double click on the generated combinations, I can choose "signed".  I guess this automatically runs the combination for a variety of -ve and +ve signs for X and Y.  If I guess coreectly, then I only need two linear signed combinations and not four, no? (+- 100%x +- 30%y, +-30%x +- 100%y).  If I guess wrong please can you explain it to me.  
  5. I read from help menu that combination sign "main mode" defaults to zero and thus all signs for all modes are taken into account.  By nominating a main mode, am I still getting +ve and -ve signing?
  6. Have I missed something and am completey on the wrong track here?

Tony

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: joverac

Hi @joverac

The ones where you define the loads manually rather than have them generated by Robot itself.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 22 of 25
joverac
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you but, when do i have to choose a mode in combination sign and when not?

Message 23 of 25
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: joverac

Hi @joverac

There is no harm to do this at all times but I'd definitely do so when I wantto run the design of elements of a model.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 24 of 25
joverac
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

thank you so much. Could you explain the difference in results?. What does Robot do different? Does Robot utilize only the results of that mode?

Message 25 of 25

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski .
I have been trying to run spectral analysis in robot using a given file. I have imported the data successfully nut I am not sure if data is exchanged as only first 50 points are being considered. Is their limit for data points for spectral analysis. See the images below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report