Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab loads to beams

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
stroxy
1071 Views, 7 Replies

Slab loads to beams

I have a finite element model consisting of 2 way spanning slabs supported by beams.  After viewing the panel cuts for the self weight shear force diagram, I notice that cut A1 and A3 are not behaving as I would expect, which is that the shear force diagram would change signs over beams 2549 and 2553. As a result, the beams are very lightly loaded. Is there a logical explanantion or am I missing something.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: stroxy

The beams being not significantly stiffer than the slab? Try to offset them below the slab or increase its moment of inertia as described:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/T-slab/m-p/3185418

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Beam-offsets/m-p/3332921

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
stroxy
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I kind of suspected that.  OK Thanks!!

Message 4 of 8
stroxy

One issue comes to mind.  In seismic analysis we are supposed to actually reduce the moments of inertia of frame members to increase the building period.  Actually my beam elements have reduced moments of inertia in the analysis module and that may also be further contributing to the problem.

Am i correct to reduce for vertical elements and maintain that of beams.  

Message 5 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Then I think this approach should be applied to both beams and slabs (as well as columns).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8
stroxy

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks

Message 7 of 8
stroxy

in reference to your post, I have a uni-directional box floor with stiffnes matrices as attached and I want to reduce the stiffness matrix by 50%.  do I reduce all clouded values in the attachment by 50% to be code compliant?

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Correct.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report