Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silo in Revit+Robot

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Dzianis.Hk
3474 Views, 44 Replies

Silo in Revit+Robot

Hi everyone!

What is the best workflow modeling a silo with the release of project documentation? Will be convenient to model it in Revit and export to Robot for calculation as an ordinary building? Or use Inventor is better way to do it? I am very interested in a similar experience and any advice...

Thanks!

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
Dzianis.Hk
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Message 22 of 45
Dzianis.Hk
in reply to: Dzianis.Hk

What function should be used for time history analisys in this case and how to handle with the results of it for subsequent steel design? Is anywere some tutorial/sample on this topic?

Message 23 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

What function should be used for time history analisys in this case and how to handle with the results of it for subsequent steel design? Is anywere some tutorial/sample on this topic?

There is no such example but I will try to describe what you need and have to do.

1. You need to have  \ create THA function corresponding to your spectrum \ earthquake

2. Create load case in which you will apply Imposed Displacement load to supports. Depending on THA function you have, correct load type should be set - acceleration \ displacement \ velocity

3. Create THA case, set function to this case , use HHT method of Newmark Acceleration, set other data for calculations

4. After analysis look at THA results and create simple load cases from time step(s) (Component) you want to consider in combinations

5. Generate combinations

thaseis.jpg

Please look also here : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Time-History-units-and-methods/m-p/4858486#M...

Rafal Gaweda
Message 24 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

End else, when I try to define manual non-linear load combinations, I recive error report in any case. What could be the reason and the solution?

Workaround:

- make model temporaryly linear (remove tension only attributes from bars)

- generate Automatic Code combinations

- convert ganerated combinations (for example from Comninations table) to manual ones

- set tension only attributes back

Model with combinations attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 25 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

Thank you very much, Rafal!

Message 26 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

I did the following: set load case #13 for Imposed displacement and added Imposed displasement to supports

2014-05-15_1549.png

Set THA as shown below

2014-05-15_1547.png

But the resultes are zero(

Could you please tell, what I did wrong and why the resultes are 0?

Link to latest model is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/o62ragjzhjk2rnq/Silo2.zip

Message 27 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

And another strange thing in this model :

Load case:2014-05-15_1613.png

Reactions:

2014-05-15_1609.png

I removed this load case and have re-defined it again - has no effect.

With similar load cases in this model is ok.

Message 28 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

And another strange thing in this model :

Something is wrong in contour load definition

See movie below with the way of correction:

(Not looked yet at THA in your model)

Rafal Gaweda
Message 29 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

IN case of geting nonconvergence of this case please set Newton Raphson method this way:

snownr.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 30 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

Thank you for the responses and tips!!

I just found why the resultes were zero. It should be made so:

2014-05-16_1040.png2014-05-16_1037.png

Message 31 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

But how to define maximum amplitude of ground acceleration 2m/sec2 correct? Is it correct as on the pictures below:

2014-05-16_1124.png2014-05-16_1125.png

In this case for acceleration 2m/sec2 and masses ~1400 kN, Fx forces in THA for pillars is about 2400 kH, My is about 600 kNm. Smiley Frustrated

To convert the load of grain (hidrostatic) to masses I defined auxiliary load case (#5) with vertical equivalent distributed load on silo wall and converted it to masses with coeff 0.8.

Message 32 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

Your THA function resembles spectrogram but this function shlould be more like accelerogram

See example below , this example function you can find in Robot CFG folder :

vrancea.jpg

Another approach came to our minds, much simpler, no need to have THA function, maybe enough for you:

- create cases in the order as written below

1. create dummy case with sw + load in direction X to activate some bracings working while the model is loaded in this direction

2. create modal case

3. create seismic case only for direction X

4. create dummy case with sw + load in direction Y to activate some bracings working while the model is loaded in this direction

5. create modal case

6. create seismic case only for direction Y

create combinations (do not include in them dummy cases described in points 1 4)

etc

Rafal Gaweda
Message 33 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

Thank you very much! It is very helpful.

Only question is why in this case for siesmic Y direction (load case #20) CQC comb some X-braces are still compressed. Whereas for siesmic X direction (load case #17) all X-braces are under tension.

2014-05-16_1739_Pic_Y.png        2014-05-16_1739_Pic_X.png

Could you please take a look to the model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t1hyvn46mzve5r/Silo3.zip

Message 34 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

Unfortunately this this unwanted effect.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 35 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

I defined main mode for Seismic load case according to max mass % in Modal analysis

2014-05-19_1514.png

Now the resultes look better 😃

Now I can't understand why for load comb, which includs Seismic load case gaphically the following resultes are obtained

2014-05-19_1547.png 

But in the forces table all values are N/A

2014-05-19_1548.png

Message 36 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

Special internal filter is run for tension \ compression only elements in table.
Not for diagrams.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 37 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

Is there a way to take values of tension forces as shown on this diagram for further steel design? because now in steel design Zero forces are taken into account
Message 38 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

Send me your the latest model.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 39 of 45
Dzianis.Hk

Message 40 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda

Bad luck:-(
For this type of combination (in fact it is linear combination of nonlinear and seismic case \ combination) results are not visible in tables, design.
I will register it for correction.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report