Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign criteria in panels

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
StructuralSilver55
1621 Views, 10 Replies

Sign criteria in panels

Hi! Im trying to undertstand how Robots gives moment maps.

I've done the next experiment:

Captura.PNG

In the beam, sign criteria is logical and correct (positive moments in central part)

In the panel, as yo can see, i can't draw the logical bending moments law in the shorter part, and its not logical, because it would be similar to the beam diagram. (its not logical to have negative moments in the center of the spam).

I've read about sign interpretacion in owner's manual, but it's not very useful..

File attached.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Please check  

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSAPRO/2014/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-E73EA3A2-AEC8-40EA-8AC3-E7EDCA7644C2.htm

FE results sign convention.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 11

Hi !

I've thinking about the sign criteria applied in robot, and i think the drawing you shown me was nos very clear, (its not easy to understand directions fo the arrows). To verify, i have a question:

- In RSA (slabs), when it shows for example , positive Mxx , the meaning is that there is traction in the upper part of the section. In most schools and books they explain it like in beams, (possitive moment is when you have traction in the lower part of the secition) Why RSA does the opposite thing? There is anyway to change the sign of moments, or to show as positive moment when you have tractions in the lower part?.

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 4 of 11

There is no universal agreement on sign convention and e.g. in my country the understanding of the positive and the negative sign of a force may differ between a mechanical and a structural engineer. Just that was the decision made almost 20 years ago.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 11

Could you please explain for me further the meaning of the sign criteria in panels.. I could not understand when the moment is positive and when it is negative.

Message 6 of 11
kamel.guetat
in reply to: kamel.guetat

Could you please explain for me the sign of moments in panels ...I have this convention from RSA but it is unclear for me.

when the bending moment is positive according to RSA?

123.png

Message 7 of 11
Rafacascudo

It is related to the direction of the panel local Z axis . If value is positive ,it means tension on the panel face that is on the local Z positive side(upper layer) . If it is negative ,it means this same face is in compression.

local Z axis.jpg

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
kamel.guetat
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Many thanks for your reply which is clear...nevertheless I could not understand the relation with the convention of signs showing clockwise/anticlockwise for Mxx and Myy. Could please clarify further..Thanks

Message 9 of 11
Rafacascudo

Local Z is on that picture.It is clear to me that if local z is upwards  ,the moment curved arrow is showing tension on upper face of the panel.

What is needed is ,to understand where tension and compression are acting , and with this you can check if your model is being coherent or not, and if so you can design it correctly

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
kamel.guetat
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thanks for the reply, however why this principle is not applicable for the beam in the RSA?

it seems to be the opposite.

5555.png

Message 11 of 11
Rafacascudo

Check message above  ,@Artur.Kosakowski  has already answered this question 7 years ago.

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report