Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seismic versus Spectral

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tony.ridley
476 Views, 3 Replies

Seismic versus Spectral

Hi,

Now that Robot 2013 has AS1170.4 Earthquake analysis built in I have started using it. 

I was previously using modal + spectral and defining the response spectrum. 

I am aware from previous questions that for spectral you need to define spectra, run the model check base shear then re-run with scaled base shear.  The AS1170 automatic seismic should be doing these things for me. 

From the previous post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Barre-de-treillis-traction-compression-vs-s%... it seems that the "seismic" analysis is linear analysis, while "spectral" is linear dynamic. 

Question;

Please explain the difference between using "seismic" and "spectral" in terms of the analysis method that Robot employs.  Is one more accurate than the other or are they both the same.  Is one non linear and one linear?

Thanks,

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

These are the same (linear) types of response spectra dynamic analysis. The difference is that in the spectral analysis you define a spectrum yourself whereas in the seismic one it is given by the selected seismic code.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4

Thanks,

In Rafals post (link in original post) he mentions to use modal +spectral as an alternative to seismic when encountering problems with non linear member types. 

So why does he mention this, if it is actually just the same anyway?

Tony

Message 4 of 4

Tony,

I think he meant (non-linear) THA analysis. Starting from v.2013 for non-linear models you can also use the static force procedure.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report