Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section builder

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
mgaafar
2045 Views, 17 Replies

Section builder

Hi,

I had complex section so I imported the section from CAD as Dxf and added the section to used database. when I ran the analysis, RSA gave a msg saying that torsional constant IX=0 and a small value will be assumed. so when I opened the saved section I found that I had not selected the Torsion option so I did, but it did not save it back to the user database, So I opened the user database and added the values manually and saved.

now the IX still reads zero when I right click the member and see the properties. how can I refresh or let RSA update the user defined values?

also why RSA does not calculate the wraping constant?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: mgaafar

Send us sec file.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 18
mgaafar
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Please find attached snap shots of the model, the model, the section file and the user database file.

in summary of what I need:

1- i am not sure how to update/refresh section properties of a section if I decide to change the property in the section (.sec) file and re-save it in the user defined database. currently I have to delete the existing section and re-save it to the database.

2-why when I resave the section to the database and re-insert the section in the model it does not update its properties and retain the old property?

Thanks

Message 4 of 18
aruser

Hi,

I have also had that issue with other section properties that I entered or changed them manually in the section database.

Try to re-add that section in the section box. You should see a message that says that this section already exists an so on...

Message 5 of 18
Artur.Kosakowski

2-why when I resave the section to the database and re-insert the section in the model it does not update its properties and retain the old property?

Imagine that I edited the IPE100 section and I saved it in my user section database and I used it in the model. Then I sent you my model and you want to edit the model using the standard IPE100 section tehrefore you load it from the database after opening my file. Would you like to have my IPE100 replaced?

This is still possible but requires user's 'confirmation':

1. Select all bars with 'my' IPE100 section

2. Change their section to any other (e.g. IPE200)

3. Delete 'my' IPE100 section label from the list in the Sections dialog

4. Add standard IPE100 from the database

5. Replace IPE200 with IPE100

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

I had complex section so I imported the section from CAD as Dxf and added the section to used database. when I ran the analysis, RSA gave a msg saying that torsional constant IX=0 

rsec1.jpg

Then save it to database

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 18
mgaafar

Rafal,

Thanks, I know that this will solve the torsion constant calculations but my problem that when I save it in the database it does not update the section in the model, but it seems that I will have to rename the section and reinsert it in the model.

by the way does the section builder calculates the wraping constant?

Message 8 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks, I know that this will solve the torsion constant calculations but my problem that when I save it in the database it does not update the section in the model, 
take a look at message 5 above

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

by the way does the section builder calculates the wraping constant?

Yes, for thin walled sections.

So you can create section as thin walled, calculate, then, if you need, you can convert it to thick walled section.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 18
aruser

How would be the way to to this Rafal?

Message 11 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: aruser

Look below

convtosolid.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 18
pawel_t

Hi,

I put from a Cad a Z section. How to read a wraping constant  from "Result" ?

Regards

Message 13 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pawel_t
Message 14 of 18
pawel_t

I have a doubt if in my Principal System is wraping constant.

Could check my ad?

Message 15 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

This section is defined as a thick walled, not thin walled section.

eThin walled section results Example below

thinw.jpg

Start Thin walled section, import only centerline of section, then assign \ set correct thickness

Rafal Gaweda
Message 16 of 18
pawel_t

Thank you very much. This works.

Message 17 of 18
emre.63

HELP !

How to make a new section (in Section Builder) in order to create variable inertia bars ?

(Impossible since the creation of the bar in Geometry tab)

Message 18 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: emre.63

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report