Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section Properties.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tony.ridley
1303 Views, 9 Replies

Section Properties.

Hi guys, a few things today;

1.  Please can you explain / confirm the following terminology.

Ix  - Is this the torsional Constant ("J" in Australia)?

I_Omega - is this the warping constant ("Iw" in Australia)?  I guess it is, as units are mm6.

section properties.JPG

2.  Wishlist request.

Can we have the ability to scale Ix, Iy, Iz for user defined beam sections (i.e. created in section builder, then saved to user database), similar to the functionality that exists on RC beam definition?  Example;

reduced moment.JPG

Thanks,
Tony

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: tony.ridley

1.  Please can you explain / confirm the following terminology.

Ix  - Is this the torsional Constant ("J" in Australia)?

I_Omega - is this the warping constant ("Iw" in Australia)?  I guess it is, as units are mm6.

2x yes

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSAPRO/2014/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-ACA8C802-9921-4E53-BE52-D5B71145AA17.htm

2.  Wishlist request.

Can we have the ability to scale Ix, Iy, Iz for user defined beam sections (i.e. created in section builder, then saved to user database), similar to the functionality that exists on RC beam definition?  Example;

write it here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/idb-p/93

task for you - small macro \ addin in API..... 🙂

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

task for you - small macro \ addin in API..... 🙂

With API modification (in fact you have to copy properties to user defined section in Robot and modify them) you will loose section shape. So the best way : edit database by Section Database viewer, copy records, modify copied records as you like.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 10
Tuctas

I had suggested once a way to use profiles with modified properties (as the way that other programes use too). I think that it will be usefull if the user could modify the properties of standard section profiles (either RC or Steel sections, less for timber) from the Inspector dialog box and that would affect only the analysis (while for the design all the properties won't be affected) just for the purposes of modelling-simulation.

I don't know if the development team liked my suggestion..

Regards.

Message 5 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Tuctas

For RC design that is already possible by modification of moments of inertia for selected section labels. For steel I hope you can use the solution proposed in http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Change-the-Moment-of-Inertia-of-a-Standard-S...

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 10
Tuctas

As concerns RC members, the way of modification I proposed is more general and it can be more easily used for different kind of modeling cases. For instance, if someone wants to give a specific value to the moment of inertia, until now he has to make the calculation manually in order to find the proper reducing factor and then assign it to the section label..
Message 7 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Indeed you need to divide these two numbers and enter the result rather than enter directly one of these numbers but I hope that is manageable Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 10
Tuctas
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur,

This is not the only point that matters.. It is in many ways very usefull to be able to modify different kind of parameters and not only moments of inertia for the purposes of modeling-simulation of a structure (as it is for instance for parameters like Ax, Ay or whatever). Just for the analysis while for design the same parameters to be unmodified. Many other programs do that Smiley Indifferent 

Message 9 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

I  understand your point and what you proposed is on the wish list item. 

What you can do now is:

- for RC design modules (RC Beam, RC Column) you can use one section in a model and then change it inside the design module into another one of the same type for design/verification

- for steel design module you can use one section in the model and then create a design group with another section for the verification

Hope this helps.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 10
Tuctas
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

O.k Artur, thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report