Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
406 Views, 3 Replies

Section Definition

Hi,

I am relatively new to Robot. I have a window section made of steel with fire insulation board in the centre and thermal break separating the inside and outside parts. I have the section Ix,Kiwi,Wy and weight from supplier. See attached. I want to calculate the full window in Robot and print of results.

My question is how do I enter the section into Robot. I know I have to reduce the Xix due to the the thermal break. I usually do this by removing the thermal break and moving one part closer to the other until I get a similar Xix value. But is this correct and is the easiest way to do this? Can I not just enter the values into robot?

Thanks

D

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming that the graphical display of the section shape is not what you need the most and you have the section properties you may use the following way to define it:

section definition by properties.PNG

Otherwise you can use the Section Builder module and define the section structural parts as lines of certain thicknesses and then calculate the section properties.

thin walled section builder 1.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks but when I enter the values that are provided it says incorrect section parameters. Do I have to enter a number for all of them. Can I not just use the values Ix, Iy, Wx and Wy to represent section?

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Mind that in Robot the axes of the section are y and z (x corresponds to the torsion about the own axis of a bar). The 'number' of 'properties' to enter depends on the type of the model (2D or 3D) and the kind of results you want to see (e.g. stresses).

Please check :

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2013/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-66A2E6F7-AE2B-44F7-96BD-49BFBBAC8F49.htm

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report