Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEEL DESIGN - DIVIDED BAR - 2 identical structures one pass and one fails

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tigrouis
770 Views, 7 Replies

STEEL DESIGN - DIVIDED BAR - 2 identical structures one pass and one fails

On the example give the 2 structures is exacly the same with same moments

beam 1 is 8m ipe300

beam 2,3,4,5  in total is 8m ipe300

they have exacly the same loading and same resuls

beam 1 fails steel design with ec3

beams 2,3,4,5  ok with steel design with ec3

why this difference? 

thank u

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
se2p
in reply to: tigrouis

Buckling and lateral buckling length.
Each node is beeing considered fixed for instability purposes
Message 3 of 8
arailosotenet_gr

Hi tigrouis,

Both have been defined with the same LateralBuckling Parameters. They have LateralBuckling Lenght Lcr=lo

Bar 1 has Lcr=8m whereas 2,3,4,5 have Lcr=2m.

structure2.png

Please check code parameters before analysing(attached image).

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

In case your 'real' beam is divided into number of smaller bars you should create a new member for code checking. Assigning the same design parameters as for the beam 1 you will have exactly the same result.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8
tigrouis
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

For beam 1 I change the lateral buckling length coefficient as shown in photo 1

Still i get different results as you can see on photo 2 which is for beam 1 with lateral bucking length now is 2 and critical moment of lateral bucking 140

On photo 3 is for beam 2 with different results

thank you

Message 6 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Why do you want to compare beam 1 with beam 2 when one of them is 4 times longer than the other? In my opinion (as I wrote in my previous answer) the correct approach is to compare the same beams. In such case instead of running verification of beam 2 you should create a new beam for verification that is built from bars 2 to 4.

Anyway if you want to make the comparision in your way you shold  assign the parameters shown on the attached picture to Beam1.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 8
tigrouis

Hello

the reason is that the member from node 3-4 (beam1) and the members frome nodes 5-9 (beams 2,3,4,5) is excalcly the same and have the same length 8 meters.   In design check the first case fails and in the second pass.

I have another post with tittle lateral buckling parameters with different example.  Can you please check that example please and you will understand my point

thank you so much for your support

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

In the design module you shoud group bars 2 to 5 into a new (single) element for verification. See the attached file (check bars 1 and 6).

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report