Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot Not performing Code check properly for Custom section

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nany717
659 Views, 7 Replies

Robot Not performing Code check properly for Custom section

Hi 

I have defined a custom section as shown below. Its a solid section type. 

When I perform code check for this beam, the results are not as expected. Its not performing lateral buckling calculations.

It is saying moment in Y might be 0 , no bending. But clearly when I go for detailed results of the beam, I have a Moment in y-direction, that too significant moment.

What am I missing here ?! Do i have to define anything else !? 

3.jpg 

Code Check messages :

2.jpg

Also I started with a solid section , why it is saying about wall thickness being less than 3mm !!!! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
nany717
in reply to: nany717

If it helps, here is the further info.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Message 3 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

1. Probably you haven't selected any section type saving it to the user database. I think the closes match would be I section.

2. Probably Ay and Az have not been marked to be calculated

3. This is based on EC3 provisions

user section1.png

See also:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/How-to-create-thin-walled-sections/m-p/31088...

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 8
nany717
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for the reply Artur. I have tried as you said and now i got some results. Again its not calculating buckling in y and z as shown below. 

6.jpg

Message 5 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Bar under tension ? Smiley Happy

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Steel-Design-no-Buckling-Analysis-with-offse...

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8
nany717
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

No Artur, the bar is loaded at 3 points as shown , the loads will act in both Z and lateral directions. 

7.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Mind the sign of the axial force.

tension force.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 8

In relation to Calculation the Ay and AZ areas for a defined section, I do not see the calculate button in RSA 2018, and I get an error in the code check saying they have not been defined, how do I do this?

Defined section.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report