Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot Buckling length/critical load calculation

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
6940 Views, 10 Replies

Robot Buckling length/critical load calculation

Hi, quite new to Robot,

just out of interest does Robot have the capability to analysis a sub-frame and work out critcial buckling load or buckling length?

if so is there a tutorial on this at all?

thanks,
Rich

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes , just change the analysis type to Buckling analysis

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

You may want to check: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Critical-buckling-length/m-p/3841687

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hi, I have setup a simple test columns for the buckling length check.

1) 3m cantilever column with axial load and a fully fixed base and 254UC73.

2) 3m propped cantilever with fully fixed base (prop is a pin with sliding in Z direction) and 254UC73.

the results are not what I expect for buckling length and critical load capacity. 

1) the critical load = 2213kN (which is slightly higher than what i expected) but the buckling lengths are out by a large margin.

for the condition defined the buckling length should be maximum 1.4L which is 4.2m not the length calculated.

2) the critical load = 26705kN (which greatly exceed the maximum sectional capacity of the steel) but the buckling length isn't correct either as indicated 2.92m which should be approx. 0.7L.

is there something wrong in the way I have setup the model?

1) input the column section at 0,0,0 and specified the length being 3m

2) add fixed base support to the bottom of the column (Node 1)

3) Added load case - DL1

4) Defined load - Nodal Load @ Node 2 - top of column - 100kN (downwards)

5) Changed Analysis Type for DL1 to buckling

6) Calculated and opened results->advance->critical load

Message 5 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you attach the rtd file and your hand calculation?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

The calculation for the cantilever and the propped cantilever buckiling load is based on Blue Book approach

http://tsbluebook.steel-sci.org/EN/Browsers/Main.htm

Case 1) Le = 1.4L = 4.2m; extrapolate between Le of 4m and 5m gives Ncr = Nb,z rd = 2090kN

Case 2) Le = 0.7L = 2.1m; similarly to the above; Ncr = 2922kN;

Maximum sectional capacity 254UC73 S355 = A x Wpl,y = 3305kN

please see the two models http://www.filemail.com/d/gjdsmtbrvikbrgy.

thanks for any assistances provided.

Message 7 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

I may be wrong but my assumption is that you have 2L for a cantilver and 0.7L for the other scheme.

E.g. http://www.mitcalc.com/doc/buckling/help/en/buckling.htm

buckling coeff.PNG

As it has already been stated on this forum you need to divide the bar for better accuracy of the results. In my case I divided the bars in 5 pieces.

1). 2 * 3 = 6 m

1.png

2). 0.7 * 3 = 2.1m

2.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Many thanks,
I take it the critical force is irrelevant in this respect?
Message 9 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Let me write this again. The aim of the buckling analysis in Robot is to determine if the applied load will result in the lost of the overall stability of a structure or any of its part. The main result is the critical coefficient which indicates the value of the critical load that would cause this effect (being the applied load multiplied by the critical coefficient). This analysis is not intended to determine buckling lengths or critical forces in elements of a model.

See: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Buckling-Analysis/m-p/3280269

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

much appreciated!

Message 11 of 11
v.brigot

Hi, could you give please what is the cr value authorized according to Eurocodes? We see often on forums a minimum values of 10?

Many thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report