Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction of moment and node support !!

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Mohammed_Ata
891 Views, 8 Replies

Reduction of moment and node support !!

As we know , RSA d sections efines columns with their sections and parameters E & stiffness & inertia . So, column is an area under slabs (sla supports on ares section of column) . am i true ?

why is there a reducton of moment over supports ?

Please i want to understant this topic 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Im not sure for this one, but perhaps Robot is taking in account that in reality there will be no pointy, very high, forces on that place. When you support your slab with a column, on the point of support you get very high moment, which are not likely to happen in reality (some cracking in the upper zone will always occur, therefore the moment in that section will be smaller than it was calculated in model).

Message 3 of 9

For FEM the results of bending over point support are higher than the real ones (they increase the smaller size of mesh elements you generate) which is the effect you want to avoid for reinforcement calculations.

See also: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/reduction-of-value-near-supporte/m-p/4699379

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 9
Mohammed_Ata
in reply to: Mohammed_Ata

I already define supports as columns , but when i check the reduction button , the moment value and shape change .

I follow posts which are posted here in the forum and accidentaly know the concept of reduction in RSA .

The value of moment decreases into the half of its unreduced value.

3.png

Message 5 of 9

The real size of the support (e.g. a column) is disregarded for the classic FEM solution (bars elements and shells) as it is only the attribute of either a node or a bar element (being a dimensionless line). Only when you mark the reduction check box these results are averaged with values from the neighborhood according to the method described in Help. The effect of a real cross section of a column (without  the reduction option being used) would be visible when you model it as a volumetric (solid) element instead.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 9
Mohammed_Ata

Thank you so much Artur 🙂

i already understand the concept .

Message 7 of 9
Mohammed_Ata

it would be better if this is merged in the basic inner calculation in RSA . 

Message 8 of 9

I can understand your point of view however I personally prefer to understand a how a given option works and then have full control on its application meaning that I can use it or not depending if I think it makes sense in a given situation Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9
Mohammed_Ata

Ok , thank you 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report