Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real reinforcement of chain of columns

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
GabrieleNovembri1027
621 Views, 6 Replies

Real reinforcement of chain of columns

in a context of capacity design would be very useful, after having calculated the column with the greatest number of longitudinal reinforcement, to impose to the entire chain the same number and diameter of longitudinal reinforcement.
It is often not accepted that a column of a storey (eg the first) having a number of longitudinal bars smaller than the same column of the nex storey (eg the second).
It is possbile in the real reinforcements module do this?.
It seems that you can give to all the columns of a chain the same reinforcement criteria, but you cannot impose the same reinforcements to the whole chain.

No suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You can try to set the maximal spacing among bars based on the reinforcement of the most heavily loaded column or use the typical reinforcement macro to first generate reinforcement in the column (after knowing what it should be running the design of the most loaded column first) and then verify the capacity of such created reinforcement against the actual load. In addition if ten columns have got the same geometry you can select all of them at the same time and treat them as the group for which the same reinforcement should be generated. Finally you can always edit the generated reinforcement which means delete, move or insert (copy) generated rebars and then run verification of such modified column.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 7

First of all thanks for your answer.
I'll try to fix the number and diameter of the bars as you indicated.
The grouping of the columns according to the geometry does not seeams feasible because I believe that the columns, un that case will be sorted indipendently regardless to the column chains

The best thing really seems to me to use the typical macro reinforcement. 

But .... you can apply a typical  reiforcement created with the macro to a chain of pillars without having to create the reiforcement from scratch for all the columns of the chain (or opening a typical reiforcement already saved to file) ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7

But .... you can apply a typical  reiforcement created with the macro to a chain of pillars without having to create the reiforcement from scratch for all the columns of the chain (or opening a typical reiforcement already saved to file) ?

You can save the Typical Reinforcement pattern you created as the file and then open it designing another column.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7

Ok. I see
However grouping columns according to the geometry Robot considers as different, I think, columns with different heights, different beams framing in the column  and so on. 

Grouping identical geometry is done regardless of the chain.
The use of the macro that generates the reinforcement is, without doubt, the best approach but saving the file and reopening it for each column is really time consuming ... We have 410 columns!.
I think it would be interesting to have the ability to assign to a group of columns (chained or grouped by the user) the same reinforcement  generated with the macro in the same way you can do with criteria reinforcement

Thanks

Message 6 of 7

I agree that this would enhance the usability of this functionality. I will add it to the list of feature request for next versions of Robot. Thank you for the suggestion.

In addition for columns with equal bar spacing for each of the sides (internal 'square' columns of a building) you may also use the spacing limits as shown on the attached picture.

Can we consider this topic as 'solved' within the currently existing functionalities of the RC Column design module?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 7

Hi artur obviously yes and thank you for your contribution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report