Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
gustavo_c_vasconcellos
5116 Views, 6 Replies

Purlin

Dear support,

I am designing a portal frame and I need to use cold formed steel as purlins,

I found a very similar profile at Sadepro database (following previous forum discussions – see below), but I still have some doubts:

Is it possible to edit tw? I need 4.75 instead 3.96 

Is it possible to edit bf? I need 75 instead of 80

If I do tools>Section Definition and draw the profiles, does it works?

ColdFormed.png

I tried to copy the above profile, create a new database, paste it make the changes but it didn’t work.

In summary, I need to know if it is possible to edit the profile and use it my design and analysis, and how to do it.

Thanks

Gustavo

Marking the thin wall check box is necessary but this is not enough. The steel design module of Robot recognizes the type of the section using the shape type assigned to it. This is what drives the verification path for a given section (I section, channel, angle etc.) according to the selected design code. To have the section verified as a thin walled it has to have one of the 'thin walled' shape symbol assigned. To help I'm attaching the documents that show the symbols for both hot rolled and thin walled sections.

As we receive many questions for this issue I will try to make some Q and A part below:

For a steel member to be designed in accordance with the provisions of EN 1993-1-1 it has to belong to a corresponding database that is included in Robot and contains that kind of sections am I right?

No, the section can be from any predefined section database or created as a parametric one. What matters is that it has got all necessary cross sectional properties and the supported section symbol assigned.

If we use a section that belongs to a database with normal sections but its thickness is thin (less than 3mm) then are we able to design it in accordance to EN 1993-1-1 even if we select “thin walled sections” when defining the member (in “additional sets member parameters”)?

No, it has to have one of the 'thin walled' section symbols assigned to be verified as the thin walled one.

In that case I would like you to tell me generally which databases include thin-walled sections so to be able to design it in accordance to EN 1993-1-1

The names of databases are listed next to each of the thin wall section in the attached document.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

unless you are checking the puriln itself, why model it?

Message 3 of 7

gustavo.c.vasconcellos wrote:

Dear support,

I am designing a portal frame and I need to use cold formed steel as purlins,

I found a very similar profile at Sadepro database (following previous forum discussions – see below), but I still have some doubts:

Is it possible to edit tw? I need 4.75 instead 3.96 

Is it possible to edit bf? I need 75 instead of 80

If I do tools>Section Definition and draw the profiles, does it works?

Yes. But remeber you have to change section type after storing section in database.

Tools \ Section Database. As far as I understood the document with section shapes you already have.

I tried to copy the above profile, create a new database, paste it make the changes but it didn’t work.

It may happen that section database (user database) internal structure can be different than the original one so to "enable copying" make your own section database taking the standard one (the one from which you want to copy), changing its name, removing contents....

In summary, I need to know if it is possible to edit the profile and use it my design and analysis, and how to do it.

Tools \ Section Database.

Keep in mind that changing some properties in database willnot affect changing calculated properties. You have to update other important fields also.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: gustavo_c_vasconcellos

Hi

We have a question from one of our clients in Ontario Canada, who want to know if AutoDesk’s Robot structural Analysis professional supports the CSA’s Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Members (S136-07)

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

We have a question from one of our clients in Ontario Canada, who want to know if AutoDesk’s Robot structural Analysis professional supports the CSA’s Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Members (S136-07)

I am afraid not. EC3 only.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hello,

Keep in mind that changing some properties in database willnot affect changing calculated properties. You have to update other important fields also.

Where are informations about those "other important fields also"? I attached a file with a section database. There are a lot of columns with a lot of informations. Is a document that explain what means each column?

Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

Where are informations about those "other important fields also"? I attached a file with a section database. There are a lot of columns with a lot of informations. Is a document that explain what means each column?

Unfortunatelly we do not have such document.

Calculate all possible in Section Builder module or enter all possible.

Or if you want to check what is taken from database and what is calculated inside the program just fill these fields with 123 234 345 ... and check Steel Design Calculation Note.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report