Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Octopus seamlessly access Robot data and results with Excel

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
Romanich
5514 Views, 44 Replies

Project Octopus seamlessly access Robot data and results with Excel

The newest addin from Autodesk Labs  - Project Octopus that allows designers and engineers using Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis to seamlessly access data and results with Microsoft Office Excel. To know more about it please use this link.

For the first look this is the Excel_Formulas.xlsm from the 2014 SDK. 

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Tags (2)
44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
hugofcruz
in reply to: Romanich

Hello,

It would be great if Excel could read bar data like this: " 4to94By30", like Robot can, when we use the bar selection, for example.

Regards,

Hugo

Message 22 of 45

Well,

you can write a VBA routine that create a selection group in excel starting from the Robot selection string. Use the Visual Basic text function or the excel text function.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 23 of 45

Hello,

Well but i also would like to know if Project Octopus can read that kind of data.

Regards,

Hugo

Message 24 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: hugofcruz

Try.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 25 of 45
hugofcruz
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

I think not, because i think Project Octopus can only read the first number of a specific cell in Excel.

Can you confirm if i am right?

Thanks,

Hugo

Message 26 of 45
tony.ridley

I have already created the excel VBA to convert the Robot string into a list of cells in Excel. The going price is a bottle of nice Australian wine.
Message 27 of 45
hugofcruz

Sorry but i cant accept your offer, since im Portuguese i surely can suggest you a bottle of good Portuguese wine from the Douro Valley Smiley Wink!

Hugo

Message 28 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: tony.ridley

Tony,

Good price for 6 lines of code 🙂
BTW: Australian wine was really nice.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 29 of 45
tony.ridley

ah yes true 🙂

your code is nicer then mine.  Mine has more than 6 lines 😞

oh and Australian wine is best in the world no?  Well, we think it is.............

Message 30 of 45
pedrosky1061012

Hello,

Is it possible to select only one type of bar through octopus? for example: If i want to extract only the bars that have RC Columns defined as their section type.

I would appreciate some help 🙂

Message 31 of 45
Mohammed_Ata

I browsed Autodesk Labs/downloads and download Project octopus.exe .

It requires visual studio 2012 updates , is there a method to download only these files without installing visual studio 2012 ?

Message 32 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Mohammed_Ata

Everything what is needed should be installed with Octopus installation.
Try to install this : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 before Octopus installation

Rafal Gaweda
Message 33 of 45
Mohammed_Ata

using octopus , can i import moment diagram to Excel ? if yes , how ? 

Message 34 of 45

Hi,

You can't import the diagram, but the forces that define the diagram (moment or forces is the same).

To built the diagram you have to:

1) define the number of the beam in excel;
2) define the load condition-load combination;
3) divide the beam in "n" parts. The "n" value depend by the precision you want to have (3 parts= low precision,, 11 parts=medium precision and 31 parts=good precision)
4) investigate in each point the force value you want for the choosen combination;
5) create an excel diagram of forces and you have finisced.

Easy, fast and useful.

Grat Robot.

Hope I help you, greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 35 of 45
mgaafar

Hi,

I tried to insert Plastic modulus values (Zy)of section and it seems it is not working properly, it gives small value which is not corresponding to the correct value of the sections.

This is an example to what I mean:

=RSA_SECTION_DATA("ZY","HSSQ 4x4x0.1875")

Please fix.

Message 36 of 45
Grohl
in reply to: StefanoPasquini6790

@StefanoPasquini6790 wrote:

Well,

you can write a VBA routine that create a selection group in excel starting from the Robot selection string. Use the Visual Basic text function or the excel text function.

Greetings

I've just started using Octopus. I am not familier with VB. Can someone explain this to me more accurate, maybe with some examples?

I want to extract global extremes (Fx, Fy, Fz) in every pinned support for load combination 50to350. Every little help is very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Message 37 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Grohl

This may somehow help before you get to know how to use Octopus

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis/envelope-of-forces-at-a-connection-api/m-p/3...

Rafal Gaweda
Message 38 of 45
Grohl

Thanks, that is helping, but I want to extract these values for more than one node at a time. Now I manually have to do this for every node and manually copy/paste cells?

Or is it something I'm missing?

Message 39 of 45
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Grohl
Message 40 of 45

Hi,

I had only ten minutes but I hope that you can develop this spreadsheet by your own.

In this spreadsheet you have to chose the Robot number, the start combination number and the end combination number and the macro define a link with robot for you needed reactions. To use only this you can set one sheet for each node that you have to investivate. Once created you linked file, when you run calculation and modify the data you have only to press F9 in excel spreadsheet to update all the values, so you create the linked file only one time.

Sorry for my basic programming but I can't make it better in few minutes.

Cheers

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report