Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18
rhjbruins
1239 Views, 17 Replies

Printing results

At the moment I've got an annoying problem in RSAP2014.

It seems that printing (to pdf) the tabular results takes a long time to spool, for example a 100 page results tables takes around 1 hour to proces. And it takes up a 20 gig spooling file,which in turn starts to make my computer halt and freeze.

This is starting to make work on my nerves. As I have 5 large models to process the results for. Anyone else have this problem? And even beter have a solution?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: rhjbruins

Which pdf creator \ printer you use?
Try PDF995.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 18
rhjbruins
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

I'm using PDFCreator and PDF X-Change lite 4.0, and I'm currently trying PDF995. It seems to be working better, at least the footprint is managable.

But I Still find the printing of tables performance very poor, the views are all working fine. And I tend to use lots of tables. Any help on that?

Message 4 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

File please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 18
rhjbruins

I've been trying to solve the problem, without the sending of a model.

It seems that the printing of tabular results is the main problem, It looks like the tables are now transformed to an image instead of text. I've looked in my archives and in RSA2011 this wasn't a problem, something happened after that.

The poor performance is also there when printing to a regular printer, I've also tried the following:

- I've tried it in both OpenGL and Non-OpenGL mode (always does a good job for the screen capures)

- I've tried tables as a screen capture (Bitmap mode).

- Different Workstation, 8gb ram (acceptable results, but still huge PDF's table only 140mb for 100+ page A3)

- 3 Types of PDF printers

- Printing to paper

Any solution? I've tried 4 different models, all give the same type of results

Message 6 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

File please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 18
rhjbruins

The problem is actually not model based, the output of the following file containing only text is 6,1mb.I'm not in the liberty to use the actual model, so I've made one. This is a 125 bar model. The PDF from the results in that file is 6,1mb (24 page), I've also added a single page, with tabular data.

My actual models have up to 3000 bars, and have to be reported in PDF. Extrapolating this means PDF's of size up to 300/400 mb. There's a workaround for this using excel etc.... However I don't like workaround as they are prone to errors, and tend to be lots of work which you have to repeat every time.

Message 8 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

It seems to be related to your computer \ system.

Take a look here : http://screencast.com/t/dGBNlqfBNH , max 30sec to generate pdf

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 18
rhjbruins

That's a big performance difference? What are the spec's of the machine used? And what's the size of the resulting PDF?

Message 10 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

portrait orientation 658598
landscape - 594032

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 18
rhjbruins

Mine is around 8878257 bytes

Message 12 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

Attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 18
rhjbruins

That's the printout I'd like to have. So we're getting somewhere.

The tables in my PDF look rastered. You can see the anti-aliasing. This doesn't happen to the header/footer. I've tried two different workstations the same results. I'm going to try a fresh windows 7 install

I've noticed that the printouts are based on HTML files.... May that be a clue?
Message 14 of 18
rhjbruins

I've tried the following.
I've made a complete new install Win7, all updates, IE10, PDF995 and robot.
Opened the file, pressed print and the results are the same. The table are still beng rasterized(pixelated). The header texts are still sharp.
Message 15 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

No idea.
Save to rtf, open rtf in Word, print from there

Rafal Gaweda
Message 16 of 18
rhjbruins

I'm sorry, that's not usable.

The screen captures are either unreadable (non - opengl) or all are not printed as intended (not streched to the page) and need to be streched and become unreadable too. Export to Word (directly) same issue

I find this is a major issue. As there's no posiblity of easily creating good quality printouts. Could you ask somewhere inside the factory what the issue could be? Since it isn't a consistent one (headers are text and tables aren't)...

Message 17 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda

There are some works being made in \ around printouts. That's all I can tell you.

But we do not know what can be the problem with your pdf printing.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 18 of 18
rhjbruins

Have a look at the zooming in the attachment.

I really think that Robot is the problem. It looks like there's some rendering done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report