Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pile Foundation

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
stroxy
2112 Views, 7 Replies

Pile Foundation

Hi, Do I model piles as column or beam elements? I have them currently modelled as columns, but the program does not give me options to change the longitudinal reinforcement along the pile length.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: stroxy

What about dividing a single bar that stands for a pile into parts at the levels you would like to change reinforcement and design these parts as columns?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
stroxy
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Brilliant Idea, I shall give it a try

Message 4 of 8
stroxy

Hello,

your proposed solution works for calculating the required reinforcement, but when I send the pile to the module for calculating "provided reinforcement", it launches both colummn and foundation modules, and the program crashes.

Any solutions?

Message 5 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

it launches both colummn and foundation modules.

Any solutions?

Select only bars that model the pile. Most likely your selection included also nodes with some kind of supports assigned.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8
stroxy

True!! Will give it a try and revert!!

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
stroxy

When I divide the column, the "provided reinforcement"module assumes that the total length of my column is that of the divided column and claculates buckling etc. based on the divided length.  

Also in the undivided column, the calculation was taking seismic loading into account.  I am currently struggling to get the divided column calculation to  do that.

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Stroxy,

I'm afraid that pile design against seismic load is outside my comfort zone and I hope other user will help you based on their experience. All I'd like to focus your attention to is the fact that the pile is elastically supported along its length (soil)  therefore I'm not sure if you should approach this as for a column with boundary condition at its very top and bottom only. For the RC Design module - you can set the buckling coefficient manually (as the multiplier for the column length) and in such way you can decide on the value of buckling length as you want it to be.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report