Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping beams, bars, columns

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
aprule16
5248 Views, 4 Replies

Overlapping beams, bars, columns

Hi!

I'm new at RSA and I'm making a model of roof space frame for my master. Above space frame are bars (they need to transfer loads from roof on space frame) so i made claddings. I need to generate model but i got error: ''Overlapping beams, bars and columns are not allowed in a calculation model.''. (see pic). I cant offset truss bars but i offseted upper bars but they are touching. I am little confused with offset and how to model bars just lying on truss. I attached the model too, so if anyone of you have time, please give me some advice. thanks and sorry my english is not quite perfect  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: aprule16

Situation:

800.jpg

First of all - wrong structure type - I guess the structure type should be Frame 3D or Shell because not all bars seem to be truss bars ; additionally it is not possible to apply offsets to trusses because it may generate moment which is forbidden in truss structure type.

Offset does "move" section only, the axis of bar remains in the same postion that's why the error appears

"NoteBars that have offsets defined are connected with other structure elements or the ground (supports) in the nodes defining these bars, and not in the nodes displaced by an offset value. For columns displaced horizontally with respect to supports or for beams displaced vertically with respect to columns, the forces occurring (acting) in nodes (such as, supports) act with eccentricity on the bars for which an offset has been defined."

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2013/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-DFB075D8-BD24-4946-8D4F-3175E93DEBA3.htm

So I suggest change structure type onto Frame 3d or Shell, them move tube truss below roof and connect pairs of node between roof elelemnts and truss by rigid links ;

Something like shown below (screen shot from different model):

rl.jpg

on truss bars either apply Truss bar property or correct releases

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
aprule16

Thank you very much for help, ill do that only i dont know how to create these rigid links????

And do I need to make space between truss tubes and above beam and then put between rigid link? 

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda

Movie: http://screencast.com/t/6wRsiMFOam6

File attached.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
aprule16
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

thanks again!

you really really helped me! 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report