Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openings in panels

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
JohandB
1715 Views, 15 Replies

Openings in panels

Hi, I am running version 2011 and have downloaded all the updates. I can not seem to create openings in panels. If I have a contour that defines the opening Robot just don't create the opening. Can anyone please help? I don't know what I am doing wrong.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: JohandB

By default any contour defined 'inside' the larger one is recognized as an opening. You can see that after selecting its contour and pressing the right mouse button to access Object Properties. In case it is set as e.g. a panel you can modify it to be the opening as shown on the attached picture. To make sure this object is correctly recognized select the 'outer' panel and run local meshing for it. The mesh should be generated in such a way that there is no surface elements inside the opening. In case you still have problems with the definition of the opening reduce the model to the 'outer' panel and the contour of the opening and upload it so that I could have a look please.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 16
JohandB

How do I upload the model?
Message 4 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

Replying press the Browse button and select the file you want to attach.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 16
JohandB
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Artur, Here it goes, the element on the right of the picture is just a simple test I did with a square panel. As you will see the contour in the middle is not recocnised as an opening. If I select it and right-click and go to "Object Properties" the "Object Properties - Meshing Options" dialog box appears. This does not tell me whether or not the contour is a opening or not. When I created the inner contour I did select "Contour / opening" under the "parameters" section. Regards,
Message 6 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

Please delete the mechanical part that is visible on the left hand side of the picture leaving only the vertical panel and the rectangle that stands for the contour of the opening you want to create. Save the file under a new name and attach it.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 16
JohandB

Hope this is right.
Message 8 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm sorry for not writting that clearly. I need the rtd file rather than a picture so that I could access the properties of the objects you created :-). Just send me the rtd file you make the last screen capture from. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 16
JohandB

I thought you would prefer the .rtb file, but if I click on "Browse" it only allows me to upload picture-files or HTML-files. Is there perhaps an e-mail address I can send the file to?
Message 10 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you try to compress it (*.zip) or just rename it to *.jpg and I'll change the extension back to rtd. Please check what file types you have got set in the displayed attachment dialog and make sure it is All files (*.*).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 16
JohandB

Here it is
Message 12 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

Apparently you have marked 'define as default in a solid modeler (acis) format' in Robot's Preferences on. This results in generation of acis type objects rather than 'standard' panels and is generally recommended for some type of solid (volumetric) models only. Please switch it off for shell type models.

As you defined your panel as the acis object you have to use Bollean operation to subtract the opening as shown on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 16
JohandB

Sorry, you may want to try this .zip file.  It contains the correct .rtb file

Message 14 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

I managed to rename the previous file. I think the solution I proposed is still valid Smiley Wink

Artur Kosakowski
Message 15 of 16
JohandB

Sorry about the previous post. It was ment to read: Thank you very much, your solution warked perfectly!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 16
Artur.Kosakowski

In such case can this post be marked as solved? Thank you for confirmation.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report