Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing problem

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
kope
1784 Views, 29 Replies

Meshing problem

it seems that no matter what I try (various meshng methods, size etc.) I cannot get a proper mesh for the walls of the attached model.

Moreover If I particularly select one of the walls with meshing issues and then delete its mesh, then I get other walls mesh also deleted... very awkard... 

I already spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, so I though sharing this issue here would be helpful.

thanks for any input.

I'm using Robot 2013 under windows XP

Mesh Problem.jpg

Tags (1)
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: kope

I used the repair mode to deal with the meshing issue (please check the Job Preferences settings in the file I'm attaching) and corrected inaccuracies in position of the nodes (e.g. 150 and 68 among others).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 30
kope
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

I used the repair mode to deal with the meshing issue (please check the Job Preferences settings in the file I'm attaching) and corrected inaccuracies in position of the nodes (e.g. 150 and 68 among others).

Thanks!! Smiley Happy

Didn't cross my mind that the repair mode would solve it. The help is quite silent about "repair mode" features.

Could you please tell me what exactly the repair mode did?

As far as the nodal positions are concerned, you have to do it manually right? I mean... inspecting each node one by one... which is a tedious task.Smiley Sad I guess since this model uses inclined axes any auto rounding up would potentially move some nodes away from adjoining elements. For instance, using the app that Rafal suggested, after rounding up, node 68 is moved away from the supporting beam, leaving the two conccurent braces not connected to the adjacent beam. That's why you did it manually, right?

thanks for your input.

Message 5 of 30
kope
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

@rg_Adsk wrote:

Hint: http://screencast.com/t/imIRxs0dl

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Rounding-up-coordinates-API/m-p/3430533/high...

thanks! Smiley Happy

Very useful, but not for this case...Smiley Sad

The rounding up moves away nodes from adjoining elements.

Message 6 of 30
Artur.Kosakowski

Didn't cross my mind that the repair mode would solve it. The help is quite silent about "repair mode" features.

Could you please tell me what exactly the repair mode did?

Checked and corrected the internal consistence of the model.

As far as the nodal positions are concerned, you have to do it manually right?

Apart from defining them correctly when you are creating the model you can also use the detailed correct option and adjust them to indicated (e.g. skewed) plane. Actually before posting the corrected model I checked the deformations and noticed the problems. Having to deal with only few nodes I moved them manually. Rounding up coordinates for planes that are not parallel to the global coordinate system axes may not solve all the problems but will many of them anyway.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda

Very useful, but not for this case...Smiley Sad

Just to show you the problem.
Correct only Z by this macro, then remesh it

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 30
kope

@rg_Adsk wrote:
Just to show you the problem.
Correct only Z by this macro, then remesh it

ok. I see... thanks again! Smiley Happy

I tried previously to adjust the Z using the "Detailed correct" function in order to push the nodes to plane Z=4.2m. Many of them were correctly adjusted but some of them were left with innacurate 4th digit (like 4.2003). I have no such problem using your tool.

Message 9 of 30
Artur.Kosakowski

When you used the detailed correction you most likely clicked on 3 points to indicate Z=4.2 plane having the coordinate display precision set to either 0.12 or 0.123. In this way you were not able to see what plane exactly you defined. To make sure it is 4.2 edit manually the coordinates for the indicated points e.g.

Point 1: x, y, 4.20 (and not displayed 003)

after edition

Point 1:  x,y, 4.2 (delete the last displayed 0 to get rid of unwanted part).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 30
kope
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

To make sure it is 4.2 edit manually the coordinates for the indicated points

Since you told me that the position of some nodes are not accurate, I increased the display precision up to 4 digits which I guess should be enough.

Initially I did the way you expected i.e. i selected 3 nodes and it was much worse. A lot of nodes were still out of 4.2 plane. Then, I enetered manually the coordinates of 3 non-collinear points at 4.2m elevation. and I got better results but still as I said it didn't fixed all of them.

Anyway, I have to be much much more careful developing the model as the object snap is very tricky and it seems that you may end up quickly with misplaced nodes. When creating the objects I rely a lot on local systems and maybe this was the source of error... But, I don't know how else I could have done it otherwise...

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

After fixing the position of all nodes the model is working well now.

Message 11 of 30
jo2ny

Hi,

I''m also having a problem with the meshing.

I tried the "To Plane" correction of the current wall (see picture attached).

I also tried the Round Up coordinates tool, but still not working...

I ran out of ideas Smiley Frustrated

Please help me figure this out. I also tried deleting and redefining the wall and still nothing...

Thanks in advance

Message 12 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: jo2ny

Robot file please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 30
jo2ny

Message 14 of 30
jo2ny

i got a lot of nodes in the model, that should have been deleted after mesh deleting.

i can't get rid of them, "delete" is not working

Message 15 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda

1. you have to open this file in repair mode to be able to delte these  61000 "not existing" nodes.

2. I suggest to mesh model with FEs size 0.2m

3. Corrected model attached.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 16 of 30
jo2ny

THANKS A LOT!

This Repair Mode, is a new feature in ARSA 2013? (i'm currently running the 2012 version)

Message 17 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda

It has existed for many years.

File \ Open  ; on window -> Repair Mode checkbox on the right hand side

Rafal Gaweda
Message 18 of 30
jo2ny

Got it

Thanks again!

Message 19 of 30
duchoabn

Dear all

WHen I meshing for my stair then error 

please see picture

RSAP 4.jpg

Thanks all

Message 20 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: duchoabn

1. Assign objects properly to stories

2. Diaphragms can be used only for horizontal panels. Use Shell calculation model for stairs panels.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report