Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing problem of circular steel tank

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
TSOFA
525 Views, 11 Replies

Meshing problem of circular steel tank

The structure is the same that I had seismic load generation problems at the topic "Circular Tank: seismic load generation". I added the steel panel at the roof as shells but I can not get the mesh to be right. Why is that? I tried to run the analysis with the wrong mesh and of course the results were not reasonable ( non uniform deformation under uniform static loading of a symetrical structure).

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: TSOFA

My meshing:

tankmesh.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 12
TSOFA
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

This looks better, but I don't know if it's acceptable. I will run the analysis to see if the results are reasonable this time and I let you know, thanks

Message 4 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

You may also consider creating an arch (polyline) and revolving it with number of divisions matching the meshing of the wall.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12
TSOFA
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I want the steel panel roof to match the geometry of the supporting structures (bars). In order to model this supporting structure, I didn't use an arch for the geometry of the main bars (I don't know if it's possible to create a steel bar from an arch). What I did is that I used crooked lines that were forming a very similar geometry. Don't you think that if I use the arch for the panel it will not be assembled properly with the bars?

Message 6 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

You may use the polyline following the nodes of the steel beams instead of the arch (that's why I used the word polyline in my first answer Smiley Happy)

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

(I don't know if it's possible to create a steel bar from an arch). 

Possible.

arcbars.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 12
TSOFA

I followed your advices of how to mesh the shells and how to create the roof plate ( polyline). Even Though the mesh looks really nice, I still have warnings and when I run the analysis the deformations are not reasonable (I will run it again and send a screen print). The warning of duplicate load cages I assume that is due to the fact I used the same combinations as ULS and SLS.

Message 9 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

1. Do not ever use Kinematic links - turn them off in job preferences

2 walls should be meshed with divisons 1x1 to get coherent mesh with roof.

Corrected file attached

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 12
TSOFA

Thank for the file. At your model DSC algorithm is turned off, should I turn it on or leave it like this? When I turn it on, I have instability type 3 (is this a huge problem?) again.

Message 11 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

leave it as it is

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 12
TSOFA

This are my results without having DSC algorithm active. Something is wrong. Do you have the same resutls?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report