Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Distribution

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
davidgholmes
654 Views, 4 Replies

Load Distribution

Think this should be quite a simple problem to solve!

I have defined surfaces around the building so I can apply a wind load to building but when I try to define how the load is distributed I don't seem to be able to do it as shown in the help section (http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-2F6BADFE-F90B-46AA-97F8-227926DB9A7-306.htm)

as there are no two-way or one-way options and the new button is greyed out, as shown in attached screen shot. I think this is stopping any loads being applied correctly to the structure.

Am I missing something very simple or need to install anything?

Thanks

David

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

For walls (which are panels) you need to make this cjange by assigning the appriopriate calculation model to them.

panel calculation model 5.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 5
davidgholmes
in reply to: davidgholmes

Thanks,

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself very well before, but I was trying to use cladding instead of walls as I didn't want these contributing anything to the structural strength of the building.

I defined cladding all the way around the building but when I apply a load it doesn't seem to go into the floors or walls, so I thought it might be something to do with the load distribution pattern.

Do I need to define the envelope as walls to make sure the wind load is transferred back into the floors, shear walls etc?

Thanks again

David

Message 4 of 5

If the walls and floors are defined as perpendicular to the claddings with their edges being in the claddings planes then the load should be transferred.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5

Thanks,

Looks like I just made a simple mistake of defining the cladding at the edge of the column, instead of the node so the load had no way to transfer into the structure.

I'm still slightly puzzled why the cladding properties box wasn't complete, but looks like I have got around that anyway...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report