Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear load on solid and incorrect sum of forces

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nrdev
297 Views, 5 Replies

Linear load on solid and incorrect sum of forces

Hi,

I'm trying to study the stress in a small steel plate supported on 3 sides. I have a solid model of this plate, on which I'm applying 2 linear forces.

The computation seems to work fine but the sum of forces I get in the "reactions" view don't match the forces I applied (see attached file) :

I have 2 linear forces of 17642 daN/m on a length of 0,12m each. I should get the following sum of forces: F=2*0.12*17642=4234 daN.

But instead I get a sum of forces of 5487 daN.

I double checked the length of the applied forces and I can't figure out the reason for this difference.

Thanks.

Regards.

PS : Link for the file : Wetransfer link

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nrdev

Maybe related to ACIS object

Do this way:

- redefine this load as Linear Load on Edge defining lines first or convert them using this tool: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Generation-of-calculation-model-takes-foreve...

- recreate model without ACIS

Correct model: http://we.tl/8rEhadIMYC

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 6
nrdev
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

Although I don't really understand why it would not work properly with acis (I assume ACIS is the way of modeling solid when "Solid modeler" is checked in the option panel), I tried to make the model without it.

My model is created from lines imported from a DXF file. I the create a panel with 2 holes in it. These objects are then extruded to make the thickness of the plate. I finally have to substract the 2 solid objects corresponding to the holes to have my final object.

This method worked fine with Solid modeler checked but It's now unable to do the substraction properly without.

How did you build the model without ACIS ?

(Actually, the model you sent me doesn't seem to be a correct solid (visually, eventhough i might work, i've not tested yet))

Message 4 of 6
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: nrdev

Although I don't really understand why it would not work properly with acis 

Unfortunately this type of load is not properly applied to any solid

Tomorrow

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 6
nrdev

Ok, think I finally found a workaround this problem : I created a very rigid bar on the line I wanted to apply the load, then run the meshing so that the nodes of the mesh comply with the bar and then applied the distributed load on the bar.

This seems to work fine even with ACIS modeling.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Message 6 of 6
Rafal.Gaweda

Tomorrow

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report