Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lateral load from claddings vs. line load

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bartosz.zaforemski
532 Views, 5 Replies

Lateral load from claddings vs. line load

While doing some test model with claddings and line loads on bars I came across something wierd.

Two structures - 1st with claddings, 2nd without them (load is defined directly to the horizontal bars)

Both models represents equal deformations, equal bending moments and axial forces in columns, BUT: in 2nd model with line load (on horizontal bars) there are axial forces in beams with some "extra" peaks... I mean Case:2

What's the issue?

http://speedy.sh/eeJnY/Strop-TESTING.rtd

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi, for your floor you choosed a rigid one and this can cause the peack of compression in the bonduary beams. Try to change the analysis type for your floor and watch to the results.

Let me know if this help you, greetings.

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 3 of 6

Floors are modelled as semi-rigid diaphragm in both cases, it should not make any difference cause the only difference is in load aplication (via cladding or directly to the egde of diaphragm).

Message 4 of 6

The link you have provided doesn't work correctly. Could you attach both (compressed) files again?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6

For case 1 I want the vertical load to be distributed in one direction that is perpendicular to the direction of the wind (meaning only beams that are parallel to the load have load assigned).

For case 2 I no longer want this Smiley Happy

load distribution edges.png

In other words due to this definition the wind load is applied as trapezoidal axial loads along the indicated beams. I would suggest defining uniform load on the beams (bar load type) rather than panel edges (surface load type) instead.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report