Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import dxf with layers

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
ldonno
2125 Views, 19 Replies

Import dxf with layers

Hello I have a problem, how can I do to import a dxf with layers? In my dxf I all bars sections are split by layer but when I import the DXF I must to start all over again.
thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: ldonno

Grouping by layers not implemented in Robot yet.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 20
ldonno
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

ok, it will be implemented? I work with thousands of bars and division by layer is indispensable to me.

Message 4 of 20
Rafal.Gaweda

I'm very sorry but according to Autodesk policy I'm not able to provide you with any information about the development plans.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 20

Hi Rafal,

This is an extremely useful feature that was part of Robot Millenium. It is not a case of writing new code, simply reinstating it. Please can you confirm if this is possible?

Thanks,

Chris

Message 6 of 20

Chris,

Are you sure that you meant opening dxf/dwg files in Robot? I don't that such option has ever existed.

Perhaps you meant import of backgrounds instead? Or CBS?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 20

Hi Artur,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you can definitely open dxf and dwg files to import centreline geometries into both Robot Millenium and 2015. It is an extremely useful feature for advanced users. Is it going to be possible to add layer support back into Robot 2015? Let me know if you need screenshots.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 8 of 20

Indeed I may actually need them to avoid any misunderstanding. As far as I know in Robot you can open dxf/dwg files in two ways:

1. Using File > Open > select dxf/dwg file type where according to my knowledge layers have never been supported 

dxf1.PNG

2. File > Import > DXF and DWG Backgrounds where layers are supported

dxf2.PNG

My understanding is that this topic is actually about the 1st option.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 20

Hi Artur,

Thanks for your reply. To confirm the two versions I am comparing:

A) Robot Millennium V. 20.1

B) Robot 2015.

The import background tool (your option 2) is an interesting addition since Robot Millennium, but from what I can see, you can not convert the lines to members. I therefore use the import dxf feature (your option 1). 

In Robot Millennium, each layer of the dxf was put into a group in Robot. This allowed advanced geometries to be created in a other program and similar members to be selected and given member properties. See 01 to 06 in the drop down menu below.

RobotMillennium.jpg

From what I can see, in Robot 2015, dxf centreline files can still be imported but the layers are not converted to groups.

Robot2015.jpg

Any alternative method/work around greatly appreciated as at the moment we have to keep both versions to allow us to import layers.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 10 of 20

Hi Artur,

Please can you update me when you have a moment? Thanks,

Chris

Message 11 of 20

This functionality was disabled during the implementation of the new way of handling import of dwg files. I have asked the development team to check if such option could be "restored" again.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 20

Thanks Artur, looking forward to hearing the response.

Chris

Message 13 of 20

Hi Chris,

I agree with you that the grouping in Robot of the dxf cad layers was a very very great tool and I hope with you that this will be restored in the next versions.

My suggestions about it are:

1) if you have few layers, save 1 dxf file for each layer, import one by one in Robot the dxf files, assign the cross section and, using ctrl+c and ctrl+v "built" your complete model, or;

2) create a lot of robot model, one for each layer, with the cross section assigned and, starting from one of them use the "update from substructure" tool to add the other parts of the structure ;

3) start from ASD with the cross section definition and export to robot;

4) try to export from cad a csv file that you can manipulate in excel and paste in robot to create by table your structure (if you search on the web there are a lot of free dxf to csv converter)

5) explode your cad file to a "localized" one. For example: starting from the original dxf model, isolate one layer and move all the objects in it of 100m to right , isolate another layer and move it of 200 m to right...and so on...load this file in robot and assign cross sections in the dedicated areas of the model. After that move back all the bars by the original moving vector...I used this trick to a 4000 bars model with 11 different cross sections and it work fine.

6) blow your mind, use mini models to find solution of big problems....

I hope I help you, let me know if you've solved your issue. We want to see your model soon...."forza Chris!!!"

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 14 of 20

Hi Stefano,

Many thanks for your excellent reply. Suggestion 5 is a particularly useful work around, although for the moment I am glad I still have a copy of Robot Millenium. Let's hope AutoDesk fix this soon.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 15 of 20
okapawal

This issue has been resolved with Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2023 release.

Please find more in the Release Notes

Regards

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis team

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 16 of 20
okapawal

This feature has been implemented with Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2023 release.

Please find more in the What's New

Regards

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis team

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 17 of 20
skellyRSA2023
in reply to: okapawal

Hi,

Is there an example of this being done in robot 2023? I.e. importing a dwg./dxf file with groups created from layers in dwg. Drawing? As when i import autocad drawing into robot it does not seem to create groups in robot?

s. 

Message 18 of 20

Hi @skellyRSA2023

I tried as well and haven't sucess to automatically create group when importing DWG file with layers.

Did you have success with group creation?

@okapawal , is it necessary any configuration before importing DWG file?

Please, take a look attached video showing import process

Thanks in advance!

Message 19 of 20
okapawal

Hi @vanderson.mapdata 

You did Import > DWG as Background.

Groups from layer work when you open DWG to create members in robot.

See attached video

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 20 of 20

Thanks a lot @okapawal 

Your video helped me a lot!

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report