Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create thin walled sections??

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
FilRib
17233 Views, 43 Replies

How to create thin walled sections??

Hi,

When i create a thin walled section in section definition, it is analysed like a solid section in the steel design module. (please see picture attached). Does i have to "check some box" to make it a real thin walled section that can be analysed has it should be?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
Priitl
in reply to: FilRib

Did you check this (see pic)?

FilRib

Yep.
Message 4 of 44
jad.dellel
in reply to: Priitl

Well done Priit, I'll give you Kudo Smiley Wink

-----------------

Jad DELLEL
Sustainability Success Manager - Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 44
FilRib

Hi,

The problem is not solved! That box was checked since the beginning of my analysis, and the program still doesn´t analyse the section as a thin walled..

[]

Message 6 of 44
jad.dellel

Can you add your file here for checking?

-----------------

Jad DELLEL

Message 7 of 44
FilRib

Ok

Message 8 of 44
jad.dellel

We need your database ruserpro.xml to analyse deeply your problem.

Can you add it here please?

-----------------

Jad DELLEL

Message 9 of 44
FilRib

Ok

Message 10 of 44
jad.dellel

this database seems empty, can you check the rihgt one, please?

-----------------

Jad DELLEL

Message 11 of 44
Artur.Kosakowski

FilRib wrote:

Hi,

The problem is not solved! That box was checked since the beginning of my analysis, and the program still doesn´t analyse the section as a thin walled..

[]

Marking the thin wall check box is necessary but this is not enough. The steel design module of Robot recognizes the type of the section using the shape type assigned to it. This is what drives the verification path for a given section (I section, channel, angle etc.) according to the selected design code. To have the section verified as a thin walled it has to have one of the 'thin walled' shape symbol assigned. To help I'm attaching the documents that show the symbols for both hot rolled and thin walled sections.

As we receive many questions for this issue I will try to make some Q and A part below:

For a steel member to be designed in accordance with the provisions of EN 1993-1-1 it has to belong to a corresponding database that is included in Robot and contains that kind of sections am I right?

No, the section can be from any predefined section database or created as a parametric one. What matters is that it has got all necessary cross sectional properties and the supported section symbol assigned.

If we use a section that belongs to a database with normal sections but its thickness is thin (less than 3mm) then are we able to design it in accordance to EN 1993-1-1 even if we select “thin walled sections” when defining the member (in “additional sets member parameters”)?

No, it has to have one of the 'thin walled' section symbols assigned to be verified as the thin walled one.

In that case I would like you to tell me generally which databases include thin-walled sections so to be able to design it in accordance to EN 1993-1-1

The names of databases are listed next to each of the thin wall section in the attached document.

and I would also like to know when we create a new “user defined” thin-walled section if there is a possibility to design it really as a thin-walled section (EN 1993-1-1).

Yes, provided it has got the thin walled symbol assigned.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 44
FilRib
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Artur,

So where do i choose the shape type? When i make a section in Section definition, i can choose one from a list os symbols (exporting to a especific database) but i cant find the right one for thin walled sections. What am i doind wrong?

[  ]

Message 13 of 44
Artur.Kosakowski

The thin walled section symbols are not available from this list directly. I would recommend to use the Section database browser and open the family of sections similar to the one you want to create. Then you can copy and paste the selected line to create a new section by editing the values of the properties as well as the section name. I hope this helps.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 44
RRufino

Taking advantage of my work colleague topic...

How does it work for thin wall composed section, like attached ones?

I can't see any database that fills in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Message 15 of 44
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: RRufino

Currently such sections are not supported for code checking however they can be still used for static analysis of the model.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 44
e_winner

Can you help my. I need to make the composed profiles like that you can see on the picture.

What is the number of share type? What kind of parametres I have to check?

Is it possible to analise this section by the EN 1993-1-3?

Message 17 of 44
napooil
in reply to: e_winner
Message 18 of 44
e_winner
in reply to: napooil

Is it possible to analise this section by the EN 1993-1-3 (coldrolled section)?

Message 19 of 44
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: e_winner

It is not possible to run verification of compound thin walled sections in Robot. Out of curiosity - how are these two profiles connected together - with some battens? 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 20 of 44
e_winner

Between them will be the sheet (4-8 mm). It will be tightenned with bolts.

Do we have any variants?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report