Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Spikes on Panel Result Maps

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
subpartner
694 Views, 14 Replies

Force Spikes on Panel Result Maps

I have encountered several Force Spike on our Panel results recently.

What are the causes of these load spikes?

Smoothing within panels:

Smoothing withn a Panel.PNG

Global Smoothing:

Global Smoothing.PNG

Can you guys please help me on what causes this?

The slab has a wall below it as designated by the line on the pictures attached.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: subpartner

File please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 15
subpartner
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

@Rafal.Gaweda wrote:
File please

Hi Rafal,

To my Regret, our File cannot be sent to you due to agreement between us and our client. Is there anyway that you can resolve this or explaining to us what happend without the need for files?

I also Have the Following screenshots in connection with my first post.:

Panel below Slab: Smoothing Within Panel

Panel Below smoothing within Panel.PNG

Panel Below Slab: Global Smoothing

Panel Below Global smoothing.PNG

Message 4 of 15
jclcereno
in reply to: subpartner

Experiencing teh same thing here please reply to this post

Message 5 of 15

If the edge from the picture is the common one for the panels not being in one plane then you should not use the global smoothing.

Mind that you don't have to send the entire model. It would be enough if you send only panels that are "attached" to this edge.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 15

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

If the edge from the picture is the common one for the panels not being in one plane then you should not use the global smoothing.

Mind that you don't have to send the entire model. It would be enough if you send only panels that are "attached" to this edge.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Does this mean that we only use Global Smoothing on panels that are co-planar?

I believe what you said is the Wall edge on that model attached perpendicularyly to a slab on top of it.

Message 7 of 15

In general the answer is yes. In the situation when you have one slab and one wall you could use this option provided you set the local directions of panels and the projection of the results in the "coherent" way (see the attached picture). The aim is to average the same type of the results.

setting the panel direction in the right way.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 15

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

In general the answer is yes. In the situation when you have one slab and one wall you could use this option provided you set the local directions of panels and the projection of the results in the "coherent" way (see the attached picture). The aim is to average the same type of the results.

setting the panel direction in the right way.PNG

Looking at your example, what if I pointed my Local Z axis Inwards for the Walls?? will that be ok?

And another thing, in connection to my example, using your sample structure, if I have a Wall in between the wall supports, can I still use global averaging?

See image below:

Sample Project.PNG

Message 9 of 15

Looking at your example, what if I pointed my Local Z axis Inwards for the Walls?? will that be ok?

For W&A moments for the top reinforcement you can do this providing that you will reverse the slab Z direction too. Mind that for the slab the top reinforcement will be at the bottom side of the slab.

And another thing, in connection to my example, using your sample structure, if I have a Wall in between the wall supports, can I still use global averaging?

You can but you should not Smiley Wink

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 15

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

For W&A moments for the top reinforcement you can do this providing that you will reverse the slab Z direction too. Mind that for the slab the top reinforcement will be at the bottom side of the slab.

In our case we have Slab Local Z axis pointed outside while the walls are pointed inside. Will that make a difference on forces extracted? We make use of Myy+ for Top Slab reinforcement and Myy- for Bottom wall Reinforcement design forces.

Message 11 of 15

Yes. In this way you are averaging different types of results.

setting the panel direction in the wrong way.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 15

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

Yes. In this way you are averaging different types of results.

setting the panel direction in the wrong way.PNG

With this kind of process, does this mean that if we are using that kind of local axis orientation, it's preferable to use smoothing within panels rather than global smoothing?

Message 13 of 15

With this kind of process, does this mean that if we are using that kind of local axis orientation, it's preferable to use smoothing within panels rather than global smoothing?

For the situation as in your model you should use smoothing within panels. This should also be used when you are not sure what to set for (or if it can be used at all) the global one  Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 15

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

For the situation as in your model you should use smoothing within panels. This should also be used when you are not sure what to set for (or if it can be used at all) the global one  Smiley Happy

I don't know if this question should be asked here but i want to know if these smoothing/averaging methods are only present in RSAP and other softwares don't?

Message 15 of 15

If it is not visible in the user interface then it is done in the background. If you display results with no smoothing you will find out why it is done yourself Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report