Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to ASD Reinforcement

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
joris
1341 Views, 22 Replies

Export to ASD Reinforcement

Who has experience with exporting reinforced objects from RSA 2012 to ASD Reinforcement 2012?

I'm trying to export some objects, but get wrong or weird results.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: joris

What exactly is the problem? Please make sure that the default template you have set in ASD matches the code and reinforcement bar database set in Robot.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 23
dieter

Hi Artur,

The export is done with the command Results > Structural Detailing in RSA.

Settings in RSA: bar database: custom xml called "bar_ITS.xml"

Settings in ASD: the same bar database is set as default in the job prefs of a custom default Reinforcement template (dwt).

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 4 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: dieter

Dieter,

Thank you but I still miss the description of the issue itself. If this is the subject that you have already discussed with Jakub then he will handle it the way it has been started.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 23
dieter
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

That shouldn't be the goal no. Therefore we can contact you by web support.

We want to find out more together with other users...

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 6 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Try to use either of the indicated options instead please.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 23
dieter

Using the Drawing generator from RSA is not OK:

-  it just detects position of the bars in RSA. Cover values are not taken and are set to 0 in ASD.

- There are no "Elements" created in ASD. Just pages. The section, tag- and other settings need to be done then in RSA. While this is normally set in ASD by the users.

Using the Import from RSA tool in ASD: nothing is imported...

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 8 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Dieter,

The options I proposed are the different type of the link. The one you used creates an 3D object (e.g. beam) in ASD whereas these ones just open drawings (set of lines) and bars are not referenced to the boundaries of this object but to its 'own positions' (therefore the cover is set as 0). Having two ways of linking Robot with ASD you can decide on the one which works better in a given situation. Mind that the objective of the export to ASD can be just the need to print drawings in better quality (e.g. with edited descriptions and tags) and no advanced modifications of reinforcement are really needed (yet still possible). As both ways (setting ASD as the default drawing in Robot and launching import of drawings from ASD use the same functionality I assume that the problem can be with the selection of the printouts).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 23
dieter

Hi Artur,

I understand the current way of working (or at least the possibities of it).

But reality is that generated reinforcement in RSA is not practically. At construction sites, the contractor doesn't want to use multiple stirrup spacings, even if that's what the code prescribes. The generalize the steps than.

When RSA gives for 3 beams diam 12 and one beam is diam 10, then the draftsman will generalize this to diam 12 for all beams, for constructional reasons.

So, ASD should be able to modify this reinforcement.

That's the real workflow in concrete building construction.

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 10 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Dieter,

I would say that one has to adapt his or her design process to the required 'real' workflow of the other parties involved in the construction of a particular project.

You can:

1. Use the RC Members required reinforcement module to calculate necessary amount of reinforcement for a particular beam and give this information to the fabricator or draftsman whose job will be to produce workshop drawings of reinforcement

2. Create and save several reinforcement patters and detail the selected beams with the same design option including among others selected main bar diameter as well as stirrup spacing

3. Calculating few most heavily loaded beams and make estimation of what reinforcement pattern will be needed, create it using the typical reinforcement option, save it and then use it for selected number of similar beams. After 'inserting' reinforcement to the beams you just run their verifications to make sure they are OK.

4. Finaly you can just edit bar diameter after exporting beams to ASD.

I'm sure there are other options that I missed but users 'discovered' in their daily work with both programs.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 23

Next two options I missed

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 23

Dieter,

I used to have the same problems down here in Brazil, just to have an idea, we use metrics, with different bar (for example: we use 6.3mm and 12.5mm instead of 6 and 12 or 13), Robot doesn't even have Brazilian code. I had to get the closest one and make some adjustments. And, of course, I need to send drawings to the construction site in a way that the employees can understand, and ...  in Portuguese.

The best way I found was to generate the drawings in Robot with all the necessaries changes, for example: changing the stirrup spacing, reducing the numbers of diferent bars sizes, and others smalls changes.

Then, I go to ASD and import all generated drawings from Robot ( I don't choose the option "import of printouts")  and use my "Brazilian" template with all bar names and summary in Portuguese. And, if it is necessary, I even do some more changes in the drawings. The drawings are not imported to model, but you can find each one in the position tab and work on them.

Dieter, I can tell you that I spent many hours until I found this way to workaround, If you find a better way, please let me know.

Gustavo

Message 13 of 23

Gustavo,

I've tried your solution and indeed, I'll get several pages in ASD.

But at the end I want one element table of all the elements of my project. Any idea's how to realise this? Copy/paste of each element into one page? And what happens to the numbering of the reinforcement?

It should be nice that there is an option where you can choose if you want each element separated on a page, or all elements together on one page.

Message 14 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Joris,

You can also try to generate a single drawing with several 'sub drawings' and common reinforcement table in Robot and then export it to ASD. For the numbering of the same bars if the indicated on the attached picture option is switched on then you will the asked if the bar identical with the already existing one (during copying to the same 'page') should have the same position number or not. Hope this helps.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 15 of 23
dieter

Hi,

I think the aim of Joris is to have all reinforcement drawings in ONE layout in ASD. And not to have several pages in ASD.

See file in attachment. Each RSA "Drawing page" becomes a "Page" in ASD Positions.

This is not user friendly when creating A0 plans with a general overview of the elements.

Second problem: multi-span beam: the sections are splitted up on two pages, because it is not possible to have all sections of the several spans on ONE drawing page in RSA...

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 16 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Dieter,

I think the aim of Joris is to have all reinforcement drawings in ONE layout in ASD. And not to have several pages in ASD.

See file in attachment. Each RSA "Drawing page" becomes a "Page" in ASD Positions.

This is not user friendly when creating A0 plans with a general overview of the elements.

I'm not able to open the file but for this type of drawings you will end up with more than one 'large' drawing which means that you have to split 'single' drawings among few A-0 plans anyway which finally  is to use copy and paste from one page of ASD to another Smiley Happy

Second problem: multi-span beam: the sections are divided up on two pages, because it is not possible to have all sections of the several spans on ONE drawing page in RSA...

I wouldn't be so sure about this Smiley Wink

Artur Kosakowski
Message 17 of 23
dieter

Artur,

Can you upload the plo file. I would like to see how sections are configurated.

until now I didn't manage to reproduce Man Happy

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 18 of 23
dieter

Found it already in the RSA folder.

Dieter Vermeulen
Product Manager AEC
i-Theses bvba
Belgium
Message 19 of 23

Hi Joris,

sorry, I was travelling... What I do is:

- create a new layout using one of my company templates (normally A0)

- In position tab, right click in the view that I want to insert in the layout and "Add to current Printout"

- After including all the drawings on the layout, I choose "Bars Summary Table" from table

Normally I do one summary by layout, and the total amount I get from one of the Robot's reports.

First, I tried to copy and paste but ASD "frozen" many times and I decided to do as described before.

I agree with you that it would be great to have the option to choose if you want each element separated on a page, or all elements together. We should have a "wish list" to include what we want in new version.

Message 20 of 23

Hi Dieter, see my comments bellow:

I agree with you, maybe Arthur can create a wish list for us.

Second problem: multi-span beam: the sections are splitted up on two pages, because it is not possible to have all sections of the several spans on ONE drawing page in RSA...

There are other options in .plo's drawings paramenter that don't split multi-span beam (bmbae05.plo).

Gustavo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report