cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EC8 for steel structures

EC8 for steel structures

The provisions of chapter 6 of EN1998-1-1 (EC8) must be included in Robot's calculations which concern Steel buildings for seismic response.

It is a major subject in seismic areas where Robot has only a limited use in Steel structures until now. Robot’s calculations concern only elastic behavior against seismic action and can be used only if we consider a value of seismic behavior factor: q=1.00-1.50. At the moment it is not allowed in Robot to be used q>1.50..

6 Comments
Tuctas
Collaborator

I hope that all users are aware of the fact that they cannot use q>1.50 for steel structures in Robot if they should use EC-8..

t.sautierr
Advisor

My way of designing the thing : calculations with q=1 and then divide by the value I want to consider. 

Of course for large model you need post treatment spreadsheet ...

Tuctas
Collaborator

The provisions of this chapter (6 of EN1998-1-1) are extensive and analytical as they concern the designing rules that cannot be treated by hand... (it would be too "hazardous" to try to make "simplifications"...).

Futhermore, the additive value of 0.5 (i.e to assign q=1.5 instead of 1.0) is justified enough.

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support
prior status deleted, setting to default

Hi, please take a look at "Italy NTC 2008 Steel", it contains all the design requirements of the chapter 6 of EN1998-1-1 for capacity design.

The only thing that have to be modified is the reference formulas that in Italy NTC2008 are different from the EN1998-1-1.

spy1551
Contributor

Αnything about steel connections ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea