Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Sectional Properties

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Gerrits003
1211 Views, 13 Replies

Determining Sectional Properties

Hello

Currently, I am trying to convert a file from Revit into Robot and determine the sectional properties of several members in the structure. I have been able to convert the file but once I open it in Robot, the object is in the back (almost like a watermark on the page) and I am unable to select it to determine the properities.

Does anyone have any solutions for me, other than redrawing the sections?

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I'm not sure if I understand the described situation correctly. Could you attach a screen capture that illustrates this issue and the rtd file please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 14

Please find attached a screen shot of what I am trying to do. I am holding my cursor a section and it is not allowing me to select the section.

Also, once I am able to select the section, how do I determine the sectional properties of the section?

Thanks in advance

Message 4 of 14

The Revit to Robot link is intended for exchanging models rather than serve as a sort of profile family editor. In Robot you should use the Section Builder module and draw the thin walled section as the one you attached. Then you can calculate its properties.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 14
Gerrits003
in reply to: Gerrits003

Thanks Arther

I was trying to use the Section tab of Robot to draw my section, unfortunately when I brought the drawing in, it disappeared and I was unable to draw around it.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

Message 6 of 14

What was the way you tried to import the section? As dxf?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 14

Yes it was a DXF file.

I even tried drawing a 'polyline' over the section and copying that in the Section tab of Robot and it would not appear either.

Message 8 of 14

Send me this dxf file please.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 14

Here is the file

Message 10 of 14

I hope you do not import all the sections at one time Smiley Happy

Could you try to create a dxf with a single section and then import it to the Section Builder module?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 14

Dear Artur, I've experienced a similar problem importing a DXF file. I'm attacching it for you to have a look.

I have a DXF with the thickness of the section but when importing, it doubles the thickness because I suppose it recognizes every line as a center line.

For the above reason, I then drew a polyline (supposing it assumes it as a center line), but at the end I don't get the correct area and section properties. It seems there is a problem in the curved lines (arcs) where there are some areas missing. Is there a way to fix this? 

Find attached first the section with its thickness (3.5mm) and second the section only with the axis. Also, I´m adding photos for the imported DXF section.

Thank you in advance!

Front axis.pngFront axis detail.png

Message 12 of 14

For the above reason, I then drew a polyline (supposing it assumes it as a center line), but at the end I don't get the correct area and section properties. It seems there is a problem in the curved lines (arcs) where there are some areas missing. Is there a way to fix this? 

Have you assigned the correct thickness or left the default 2mm?

thickness.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 14

Yes, I assigned 3.5 mm. thickness. The issue seems to be some kind of overlapping of the arcs. 

Message 14 of 14

After importing this dxf as it is the definition of a section shape as expected by Robot (which will have by default 2mm thickness assigned to it) you should select it and set the thickness to 3.5 mm. Have you done this change? If yes, what was the area and what is the expected value?

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report