Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining beams and plates - problems w contour snapping to CAD import

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
628 Views, 5 Replies

Defining beams and plates - problems w contour snapping to CAD import

I’ve imported a CAD reference which I’m using to define my floor plate from. I will need to add a load that varies in zones along the edge of the floor plate, my plan of getting around this is to define 1 floor panel and a numbers of beams that will define my loading zones - I’ll mesh these together. As you can see in the attached screenshot (zoomed in), my problem is that the beams/plates are not snapping to the points in my CAD file. The beams/plates are therefore not connected in the same node, which leads to errors when I’m trying to perform meshing. I’ve the same issue when I perform meshing to my plate elements. I would like to avoid having to manually re-draw these elements. Please refer to attached screenshots.

I tried setting the snap setting to Objects/Endpoint/Midpoint but this didn’t help.

Your advice on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesper

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tony.ridley
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to menu, edit, detailed correct......

This should work OK as long as you are careful with the tolerance setting 

Message 3 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

Jesper,

Have you managed to correct the geometry of your model using the tip from Tony? It may be helpful if you define structural axes first.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

Thanks to the both of you for gettign back to me, unfortunately my problem is still unresolved. Please refer to the attached sketch to understand my challenge. I've varying structural depths and understand I must therefore sub-divide my floor plate into a number of regions (as noted from 1 - 15). After I've defined floor panels in these regions, I define the voids and then supports. When I'm meshing there are problems at the inteface between some regions.

Does the procedure above sound right to you or should I be doing it differently?

I'm sure the error is due to a simple thing I'm not doing right, if you have any ideas these would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesper

Message 5 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

You can create the model in the way you described. Could you send the model and indicate the number of panels you have problem to mesh correctly please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I think I've managed to solve the problem by adding nodes to interest points of my CAD reference. Then I turned off the CAD reference and defined the structure snapping to nodes only.

Thanks for your assistance and your time,

Jesper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report