Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deep Beam Modelling

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jclcereno
1571 Views, 12 Replies

Deep Beam Modelling

Hi, I have a specific Task in hand and I want your inputs with this.

As of date Version 2014 I am using, Deep Beam Module of Robot is still not activated in my RSAP.

Deep beam Module.png

And I have A project which can utilize the said module.

Deep beam2.PNGDeep beam.PNG

Is there a work around for this? I was thinking of Modelling a Beam With the Full height of the Wall as seen on the illustrations below. i just don;t know how to Connect all three floors on the same beam to simulate a deep Beam Action.

Kindly help please???Cat FrustratedCat Frustrated

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jclcereno
in reply to: jclcereno

Another thing, My interest is to get moments for the proposed Deep Beam..

See image of intent below:

Deep beam3.PNG

The Black Curve is the Moment Force of Interest for design. From what I see, Current Panel Forces Won't produce the necessary Moment Requirement Because W&A results only displays In plane Moments. Where As the Deep Beam Action needs to be on torsion with respect to the current panel local axis. See image below from Robot Help:

Sign Convention Robot.PNG

Message 3 of 13
t.sautierr

It is not accessible because you didn't calculate your element to theoretical reinforcement -> then you will be able to activate deep beam (RSA willl detect it automatically if dimensions are ok) and reinforce it according to the specificities of deep beams.

For the other mtehod -> you need too lokk at Nxx / Nyy to see compression stresses, the integral of which is your moment, you can see the value od this integral by using pannel cuts.

Message 4 of 13
jclcereno
in reply to: t.sautierr

@t.sautierr wrote:

It is not accessible because you didn't calculate your element to theoretical reinforcement -> then you will be able to activate deep beam (RSA willl detect it automatically if dimensions are ok) and reinforce it according to the specificities of deep beams.

-See Image Below, Soo I need to Select The walls for RSAP to activate its deep beam module? but it says that It doesn't have ACI/EN codes for Deep beams or option still not implemented yet??

For the other mtehod -> you need too lokk at Nxx / Nyy to see compression stresses, the integral of which is your moment, you can see the value od this integral by using pannel cuts.

-This method is really not Clear to me 😞

No Deep beam on ACI.PNG

Message 5 of 13
t.sautierr

For eurocode and french code it is implemented, I didn't check for ACI. 

For second method, see this : http://screencast.com/t/z6Uyssj8

Message 6 of 13
jclcereno

@t.sautierr wrote:

For eurocode and french code it is implemented, I didn't check for ACI. 

-What version of RSAP are you using? Do you have a module/patch for it? In my RSAP 2014 seems that ity's not yet implemented.

Eurocode no Deep Beam.PNG

For second method, see this : http://screencast.com/t/z6Uyssj8

-I will try to view this

Message 7 of 13
t.sautierr

Seems you're right for eurocodes, it's like it is not implemented, I tried to do it with BAEL (french old code) and thought it was obsviously implemented in it but did'nt make a test ... 😛

Message 8 of 13
jclcereno

Hmmm Soo I was still hoping some one can answer my queries..

We made some progress on using stress instead of forces. would that be ok?

Since our model is underground, we made another analysis for the deep beam with only vertical loads applied to the stucture and viewing the stresses on the considered deep beam wall.

See images of Stresses.

Sxx SLS Top.PNG

Message 9 of 13

Deep beam supported codes.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 13
t.sautierr

Stresses instead of force? it will not give you what reinforcement to put for ULs comb but this can give you an idea for SLS.

In your picture central span bottom part is in compression because the beam is not free to be deformed at its end supports.

Message 11 of 13
jclcereno

@t.sautierr wrote:

Stresses instead of force? it will not give you what reinforcement to put for ULs comb but this can give you an idea for SLS.

In your picture central span bottom part is in compression because the beam is not free to be deformed at its end supports.

Yes, Stresses.

In ACI and Eurocode, we can use direct stress substitution to be able to get the As for Tension Controlled Members assuming Steel does not yield. Deep Beam design in Eurocode, ACI and CIRIA only considers ULS for bending check. SLS are not, but they provide empirical values for As for SLS Crackwidth control. 

Yes, The Central Span is in Compression Because The model that I was pertaining to is not a simply supported Deep Beam. Rather It has 3 supports. Please See image on the First Post so everyone will get the idea.

I made a Combination in our model where in it is all made of Just Vertical Force To simulate Deep Beam Action. Lateral Loads are already designed.

Regarding Arthur's post, Yes, BAEL can be used to make the Deep Beam module work. But I don't know if it is allowed to be used in our project.

We are strictly in Eurocode and BS. So I'd ratehr stick with these code to make it work.

I wonder when will Eurocode, BS and ACI will have the Deep Beam Module? We have been making Deep Beam design for several project already. 😕

Message 12 of 13
saclovitzky

Hello,

"For the other mtehod -> you need too lokk at Nxx / Nyy to see compression stresses, the integral of which is your moment, you can see the value od this integral by using pannel cuts."

What do you mean the "integral of Nxx/Nyy" is your moment? the unit of this is in kN/m. Can you further explained this?

Message 13 of 13
t.sautierr
in reply to: saclovitzky

yes the units is in kN/ml, your intergal will be moment = sum of Nxx x lenght where your consider Nxx x lever arm at the point you want to calculate the moment, then the unit will be kN.m.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report