Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-section check for Torsion

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
704 Views, 2 Replies

Cross-section check for Torsion

Hello,

How I perform cross-section check for Torsion ?

I have a steel beam and torsional moment in the middle.

I noticed that programm doesn't recognize this moment during the section check.

Best regards

Igor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

You may want to use the Stress Analysis module.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 3
mike.kovacs
in reply to: Anonymous

Thought I might drag this topic back up. I've been asked many times, and seen many cases myself, where an open section might be used in a case that imposes a good deal of torsion (or even just a little bit). That tends to lead to us specifying closed sections instead, when they might not in fact be needed. While that's simple and no one complains too much, it's worth noting that closed sections are substantially more expensive than similarly weighted open sections, and tend not to be made with as much recycled steel content, so they're much less environmentally friendly. This is driving my interest to finally get a better handle on how to deal with analyzing and designing open sections with a bit of torsion on them.

Guidance for doing this in Robot isn't incredibly readily available as far as I can tell. @Artur.Kosakowski , you have simply pointed the user to using the Section Designer / Stress Analysis module here -- but in the years since this thread was first posted, have you come across (or developed) any good guidance for the typical building structures engineer to use that module to analyze and design open sections? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report