Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical moment-zg value

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
arailosotenet_gr
740 Views, 12 Replies

Critical moment-zg value

As you can see in the attached image zg is considered positive in columns_left analysis and negative (same value) for columns_right....thus, different Mcr values have been calculated...(verified by hand as shown here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Critical-moment/m-p/3335273/highlight/true

Is it possible to have negative values for zg since it's a distance?

Shouldn't both left and right columns have the same zg value since both are loaded on the upper flange which is also the restained one...

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Could you send the rtd file please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 13

Please find zip file attached...The rtd has been saved without results...

Message 4 of 13

Case 9 component 42 - approx. the same internal forces for both columns (207 and 208).  The values of Mcr are 2342 kNm for bar 207 and 28834 kNm for bar 2068 respectively. This difference is caused by the fact that you set that for bar 207 load is applied at the top flange level whereas for bar 208 at the bottom one. Setting the top flange for both bars you will have the same value of Mcr. The plus and minus sign for zg is due to the fact that they are measured from the middle of the section in the opposite directions.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 13

Ok I figured out which is the upper and lower flanges according to Robot so I have no problem with Mcr now?

But something that confused me when trying something is that when I give a gamma angle of 180 degrees to the columns which are symetrical (HEA) I have different critical load components for steel analysis as you can see from the images attached....The rtd file is the same as previous...

Why is that?

Message 6 of 13

Mea culpa... the rtd file of the previously attached images is not the same. It's the same structure with simplified wind loads according to DIN code...I upload the file just in case you have some time to have a look....

But the same happens with the one I uploaded in my previous post, if you rotate the sections, compute the calculations,verify once, change some code parameters needed (upper lower flange loading and detention) and verify again....

Thanks a lot

Message 7 of 13

But something that confused me when trying something is that when I give a gamma angle of 180 degrees to the columns which are symmetrical (HEA) I have different critical load components for steel analysis as you can see from the images attached....The rtd file is the same as previous...

Why is that?

This seems to be reasonable as the loads are in the opposite directions which causes different intenal forces on the windward and lee sides of the building. You can see that the results are symmetrical. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for your time....

I think that I was not quite elaborative so you didn't understand exactly what I mean...

Please have a look at the following attachments...

The different critical load case component happens for the same columns when I change the gamma angle...due to symmetricity I think that the critical component should be the same irrespective of the column orientation.....

Message 9 of 13

One question - after rotating the bar have you redefined the LTB  parameters assigned to the top and bottom flanges? They should be 'reversed' too.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 13

They are not reversed because the critical component as you can see from the images has different direction...

In both case components the load is applied to the upper flange...

That's why I have marked the LB parameters on the images attached.....

The upper flange is defined according to the local axis of the bar isn't it?Positive z gives upper flange....That's why I get the same Mcr in both cases as well....

Message 11 of 13

Step by step:

Case 8/ULS56  (or case 25 you created) and bar 207

Your definition for both gamam angles 0 and 180:

LTB parameters: top flange restrained; bottom flange unrestrained (this is governed by the direction of local Z)

Load level set as top flange meaning load is applied to the flange under compression (does not depend on the local Z direction)

For gamma angle 0 ratio is 1.43. For gamma angle 180 ratio is 0.83

-------------

Suggested definition: for gamma angle 180:

LTB parameters: top flange unrestrained; bottom flange restrained (this is governed by the direction of local Z)

Load level set as top flange meaning load is applied to the flange under compression (does not depend on the local Z direction)

ratio is 1.43 (as expected).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 13

Thank you....I confirm you numbers...You're right.

I wasn't paying attention that when rotating the section I have to change the flange that is restrained, rather than looking only the flange that the load is applied on....

Something more please, as now I'm going to have a look at the modal and seismic analysis....

Are there any tutorials or videos or instructions for step by step load to mass conversion - modal - seismic analysis....

Trully grateful...

Message 13 of 13

Something more please, as now I'm going to have a look at the modal and seismic analysis....

Are there any tutorials or videos or instructions for step by step load to mass conversion - modal - seismic analysis....

Trully grateful...

Please check http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/seismic-loading/m-p/3249356/

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report