Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying items in RC navigator

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rcadzior
715 Views, 4 Replies

Copying items in RC navigator

Dear Sirs;

Could you tell me how can I copy defined (item is listed in a navigator) foundation item from one node to others?

Controls with node numbers are block in navigator - why cannot we add node numbers in a simply way instaed of define new item from begining ?

After clicking on any item (right mouse button menu) we can see  "Move selection from/on structure" - how do these options work because I didn't notice any results, there is also no help in a program documentation ?

We have also simple "Edit/Copy, Paste" options - but result is a copy of selected item with empty property cells.

Maybe I do something wrong - please explain how should I do that in a proper way , because I see no sense in that all.

Thanks in advance for any help !

BR.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: rcadzior

If you want to copy reinforcement between elements - you can do it by saving opening rxd file for typical elements.

Otherwise I suggest to use grouping of elements while importing to RC module.

kop.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
rcadzior
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Dear Rafał;

Thanks for your hints - it is a partial solution of course.

Let me explain more precisely - I don't want to copy reinforcement which is a result of design and can be easily calculated in seconds.
I wanted to copy a "type of foundation" with its full definition like geometry, soil conditions etc. from one node to the others like a template - not to fill all data from the beginning.

What do you mean by "grouping" objects in Robot?
I selected several nodes (..is it "grouping" meant by you ?) and tranfered them into RC-foundation module, they are shown in a list and its contents cannot be changed manually.

Don't you think it would be better for us to have a possibility to change a list of nodes?
Is there any way to edit it in a present version of Robot  (maybe we don't know about some options which can be unlocked) ?

If not - please find it as a polite request to your programmers Smiley Wink

BTW.  When we select exactly two nodes - program asks if we want to define footing under two columns (it was described in the manual). If a number of selected nodes is greater - there is no question displayed

BR

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: rcadzior

Let me explain more precisely - I don't want to copy reinforcement which is a result of design and can be easily calculated in seconds.
I wanted to copy a "type of foundation" with its full definition like geometry, soil conditions etc. from one node to the others like a template - not to fill all data from the beginning.

Geometry and some bars settings can be transfered by rxd file :

kop.jpg

Calculation options:

calcopt.jpg

Reinf pattern:

reinfpat.jpg

Soil : 

soillay.jpg

What do you mean by "grouping" objects in Robot?

grouping.jpg

And design will be performed as for one foundation for envelope of forces from selected (grouped) nodes.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
rcadzior
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

OK - I tested "grouping"

My remarks:

- "According to geometry" works if columns cross-sections are the same - in order to get what I wanted I had to cheat Robot and changed cross-sections for all columns to one common. After Robot had created one foundation for those nodes I changed cross-sections to "original".

-"According to story" groups elements because of elevation of node/column/beam etc.

Both options are useful but the most necessary is "user defined" grouping

Dear programmers - allow us to define types of foundations for "user defined" set of nodes !

It will be a simple option that will bring more benefit than those built-in "smart" options - which do not work as if I wished (hope others too .... judging from the read posts eg. steel connections).

Please do not treat my words as a criticism - in our common bussiness is to improve this programme (that's why this forum exists I think...) and the most valuable are the remarks of engineers with any design practise. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report