Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections between bars and in general.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jaber1
1140 Views, 3 Replies

Connections between bars and in general.

Hi all!

Recently I started using ROBOT so I am still a beginner and have couple of simple questions that i would like to ask;

1. Is it possible to design a connection where one steel bar is laying on top of the other, if not, what would be the way to say to the program that these bars are connected so the loads etc. can be transfered between them

2. Is there a way to design connection between RC column and a steel beam?

3. How can you say to the program that for example the connection between given bars has to be pinned e.g. wind bracing structure or the other way - set that the given connection has to be able to tranfer moments e.g rigid frame.

4. Similar as question. 3 but about supports, and how to deal with these instability errors? even for the simplest structures, with loads only in one direction the program requires to fix the structure in all three directions where its not necessary!?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jaber1

jaber1 wrote:

Hi all!

Recently I started using ROBOT so I am still a beginner and have couple of simple questions that i would like to ask;

1. Is it possible to design a connection where one steel bar is laying on top of the other, if not, what would be the way to say to the program that these bars are connected so the loads etc. can be transfered between them

The simplified approach is to define them at the same plane with a node and their intersection and then use offset to 'move' one of the bars in the vertical direction. The more exact method is to define the bars at their 'right' levels with two nodes (one above the other) connected by means of the rigid link.

2. Is there a way to design connection between RC column and a steel beam?

What kind of the connection is it exactly?

3. How can you say to the program that for example the connection between given bars has to be pinned e.g. wind bracing structure or the other way - set that the given connection has to be able to tranfer moments e.g rigid frame.

By default the connections are rigid. To define the pinned connection you should apply release at the end of a bar.

4. Similar as question. 3 but about supports, and how to deal with these instability errors? even for the simplest structures, with loads only in one direction the program requires to fix the structure in all three directions where its not necessary!?

Please use the 2D frame instead of the 3D frame model to reduce the numbers of degrees of freedom.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
Ievgen
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I also want to ask how to understand which connection was set before (visually, by looking on a model or which methods there are at all???) ?

I mean if there is a graphical option to show connections between bars: for joints - circled points and so on (for example like Conrete Building Structures does)

Thank you in advanced!

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Ievgen

sc numbers.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report