Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concentrated Cable Load

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kranic24
366 Views, 3 Replies

Concentrated Cable Load

Trying to analyze a simple span 9ft cable with a concentrated railing load of 200lb (spread over 1 square foot). My single cable has an area input based on 12 inches.

The Fx should statically result in 200# however the model is giving me a crazy sum of 800#, something is definatley incorrect.

Can anyone see what I did wrong, also is there a better way to put this load onto a cable?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: kranic24

The load you defined causes the existence of axial load in the cable (which is combined with the axial force from the assembly load case). As the cable deforms (bends) this axial force causes at supports both FX and FY reactions.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
kranic24
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I understand the effects of loading on the cable which results in both vertical and horizontal reactions. What does NOT make sense is the summation of the horizontal loads in this case. You should be able to sum the horizontal loads statically to check the the model. In this case, the sum of top/bottom horizontal loads should be 200# and it is 800#.

I can get the correct result if I put in the force as a bar force, however putting load in as trapezoidal load does not work. Am I putting something in wrong for this case?

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: kranic24

I'm not able to figure out how you defined the load but something went wrong. Please delete the liner load from the case 2 and define it again in the way shown on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report