Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Time-History with Static load cases?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
StuartRogers
1142 Views, 10 Replies

Combine Time-History with Static load cases?

Hi,

I would like to combine a time-history analysis with an existing static load combination within ROBOT. Is this possible?

I have seen  the 'Consider results from a selected case as initial ones 'tick box, however load combinations cannot be specified there.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Stuart

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tony.ridley
in reply to: StuartRogers

When you define the THA, you need to select a case that it is based on. 

Just make this the static case you want to use for the THA and apply the forcing function.  The "consider results" just means forces and displacements from the case you enter are the basis for the THA. 

Untitled.jpg

Message 3 of 11

You need to convert THA components into simple load cases first. Then they can be used in definitions of combinations.

THA combination.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 11

Thank you for your help.

This is not quite what I am trying to achieve. Appologies for the vagueness of my first question.

What I would like is for ROBOT to apply a load combinaton to the model and solve it statically.

Then, use this static case for the starting point for the THA analysis. I would like to apply the THA in addition to the already applied static load combination.

The load combination is the combination of the dead weights applied on the structure. (they are also included in the load to mass conversion for dynamic analyses)

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Stuart

Message 5 of 11

Stuart,

In such case you need to create a simple load case with loads as in the combination you would like to use as the starting load case first. This simple load case has to be defined before THA case. Finally you should type its number in the field indicated below:

THA initial.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 11

Arthur,

Thank you for your help.

Just to confirm. I have to apply the dead loads in one simple load case?

Is there not a way to use a load case combination for this 'initial case'?

Regards,

Stuart

Message 7 of 11

Appologies for the many questions.

Is dynamic mass accounted for in the THA?

If I was to need a number of different 'initial cases', with different dead loads, i.e. the models have different mass distributions. Would  I need completely separate models?

There only appears to be options to apply the mass to 'Global Mass', 'Dynamic mass' or modal analyses.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Stuart

Message 8 of 11

Just to confirm. I have to apply the dead loads in one simple load case?

Correct. 

Is there not a way to use a load case combination for this 'initial case'?

Currently the option is limited to simple load cases. This is related to the way of accessing the results (results of linear combinations are not stored directly but created based on results of simple load cases).

Regards,

Stuart

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 11

Is dynamic mass accounted for in the THA?

Yes, it is.

If I was to need a number of different 'initial cases', with different dead loads, i.e. the models have different mass distributions. Would  I need completely separate models?

No, but you would need to create several groups of modal and THA cases (modal 1 followed by THA1, modal 2 followed by THA2 etc.). The load to mass conversion should be done for specific modal case (it will be then used for the following THA case)  and inside the THA case that follows 'its' modal case you define the appropriate staring case.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 11

Thanks again Arthur.

So, the THA is always linked to the last modal analysis which was carried out for both the participating modes and the dynamic mass?

Is this the same for spectral analyses also?

Regards,

Stuart

Message 11 of 11

Yes, they use parameters form the modal case defined prior to them.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report