Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column base plate with Eurocode: web in tension

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Gateau.Basque
1098 Views, 3 Replies

Column base plate with Eurocode: web in tension

Dear Sirs,

I am calculating some base plates for steel square hollow section columns. I attach a calculation file. For the worst combination the limiting condition is "column web in tension". I have tried to check the paragraph of TENSILE RESISTANCE OF A COLUMN WEB but it is impossible to me to know the geometrical parameters used by Robot to calculate the b eff = Effective width of the web for tension, as the reference formula from EN 1993-1-8, 6.2.6.3(2) and the related figures (6.6) are intended for beam to column connections. Is it possible to know how Robot transform this checking to a base plate checking?

On the other hand, regarding shear check, i have a shear key (wedge). There is a check named BEARING PRESSURE OF THE WEDGE ONTO CONCRETE. There is no cheching of the steel wedge in shear. What happens if the wedge shear resistance is lower than the concrete pressure?

Thank you for your attention.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

¿Nobody has verified that beam-column joint checking for base plates?

Spoiler

Message 3 of 4

To give you detail answer the developer has to check the program code.

Unfortunately he is on holidays. I will update this thread when I have any info.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Column web control:

There is indeed a problem of interpretation.
Control is carried out for load capacity of the column web as for concentrated load (6.2.6.3), and we should set as the capacity of the beam web in accordance with 6.2.6.8.
• The problem has already been registered for correction

Wedge control:
Shear load capacity is a component of many capacities (anchor bolts (shear, pressure for concrete, break away the edge (I do not know if it is correct engineering term)) + capacity associated with  friction + web capacity)

Since the EC3 standard does not give how to calculate the wedge we used the forulas and rules of the PN (which is complementary to most of the EC3).
PN rules require verification of load wedge pressure only in the context of concrete.
This is due probably to the fact that normally shear (cut) capacity of the wedge is incomparably greater than the compression capacity of the concrete.
Of course, in theory, a situation in which the wedge will break sooner than will be the destruction of the concrete around it is possible.
But in practice, the wedge is usually a massive ellemnt so probably the PN does not take into account the possibility of his cut.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report