Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable to Cable Attachment

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kranic24
294 Views, 4 Replies

Cable to Cable Attachment

I keep getting errors when trying to model a simple span cable that has nodes along the span for a plate attaching to it. Fixed ends (Node 1 and 5) and only restriction in the Z at Nodes 2 thru 4.  Bars 1 thru 4 is one cable while members 5 thru 8 is a 1/4" steel plate.

Can anyone look at my model to help me figure out my problem? I'm thinking its a "release" issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tony.ridley
in reply to: kranic24

Do you mean a true cable or just a "round bar"?

I can't see your model (no Robot in this office today) but I'm pretty sure you can't use a true cable for this kind of modelling......

Also, I don't think you can model releases in cables. 

Tony

Message 3 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski

The error is caused by the fact that you applied imposed displacement load in the nodes that do not have this d.o.f restrained. You need to define supports with the imposed direction of displacements blocked. It seems that in fact you applied all values as 0 so perhaps it is some kind of the mistake there. Also the cable has got no torsional stiffness so the parallel bars need some supports as well.

In addition I think that you should include self-weigh in the assembly load case and then apply other load in the following load cases.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 5
kranic24
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for the response Artur. I'm still not able to get this model to work. I have provided supports (Z direction) for both plate nodes and mid-cable nodes. I also applied the imposed displacement as recommended. Any other thoughts? Is this possibly a timestep issue?  Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski

You are not allowed to define supports in the slave node of the rigid link therefore you have to replace them with bars. In addition you need some additional supports to prevent instabilities as well as mark the stiffness matrix update after each iteration.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report