Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Instabilities

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tomdilley
324 Views, 4 Replies

Cable Instabilities

I have a relatively simple cable model which has a horizontal cable supporting a series of vertical cables.  I have split the horizontal cable into a chain of smaller elements so there are nodes at the connections between the horizontal and vertical cables.  The assembly case works fine, with just the dead load of the elements themselves.

I wish to apply horizontal (lateral) loads to the vertical cables which will react onto the horizontal cable.  Whenever I do this, I get an instability of type 1 in the global Y direction which I don't really understand how I can overcome.  I could understand a rotional instability but not a directional one.

Any ideas?

Can't attach File as .rtd extension is not allowed?!

Tom.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@tomdilley wrote:

Can't attach File as .rtd extension is not allowed?!

Tom.

Try now. I just add the .rtd extension to the discussions.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 3 of 5

If a rtd file is too large try to zip it first. Otherwise check http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Sending-bigger-files/td-p/3795062

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 5
tomdilley
in reply to: tomdilley

Here is the file.

Thanks
Tom.

Message 5 of 5

As far as I can see the instability is reported for case 2 in which there is no load defined. You have two options:

1. Delete case 2 

2. Set  P-Delta analysis for case 2 (as done for case 1). In such case the case 2 will be just case 1 which is the assembly one.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report