Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baseplate with holding down bolts subject to Tension and Shear

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jamalsid
5923 Views, 8 Replies

Baseplate with holding down bolts subject to Tension and Shear

Hello

I am trying to design a baseplate for a 203x203x46 UB column on a square baseplate subject to 726kN of ULS tension and 160kN of shear sat on a concrete foundation of grade C32/40. I cannot seem to find an arrangement that works and keep getting a concrete cone failure. The section of the calculation notes that relates to the cone capacity is carried out according to the "CEB Design Guide: Design of fastenings on concrete". I am unable to source a copy of this document to see what I need to change to make the baseplate work.

Any help would be appreciated? I have attached a copy of the robot file that contains the baseplate.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jamalsid

You need to decrease level arm (e.g. by reducing tg) or e.g. increase diameters of anchors.

The link to the reference book is:

http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/content/book/100270

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
jamalsid
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Artur

Thanks for the reply. I uploaded an old version of the file by mistake! In the meantime I have had some help from a colleague and have found a solution.

I am curious though as to how robot calculates Nj,Rd. It references 6.2.8.3 in BS EN 1993-1-8:2005 but having read it I can't see how Nj,Rd is calculated.

I have uploaded the final version of the design that works so you can use it in reference to a reply to my question.

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

NjRd.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 9
jamalsid

Artur

That clause only seems to be relevant for compressive forces. In my example I have a tension load.

Message 6 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Mind the sign convention in the connection module.

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2013/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-3BBC4C06-F403-453A-A3C3-793916A5F64A.htm

sign convention.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 9
jamalsid

I did notice that the sign convention calls for Tension loads to be entered as positive axial loads and I have entered that into my design a few posts above. As it is tension Nj,Rd is not the sum of FC,Rd for the 3 equivalent T-stubs in clause 6.2.5 as FC,Rd is a compressive resitance. 

If you open up the last model I posted you will see two designs, one for the maximum compression combination and one for the maximum tension combination. I cannot see in the calculation note how Nj,Rd is calcualted. Even in the compression case it does not appear to conform to the clasue you quoted above.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I do not design many connections and this is the first time I have designed any to Eurocodes. I have spent some time looking at the code BS EN 1993-1-8 but do not find it easy to follow. Through all my searching on the interent I cannot find examples for tension loads on baseplates. Your help is appreciated.

Message 8 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm sorry for some reason I switched my attention from the first to the second of defined connection. For the under tension one:

tension in fixed column base.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9
jamalsid

Artur.

It seems obvious now you have pointed it out to me.Smiley LOL

Thankyou for your patience!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report