Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

Distinguished Contributor

Assigning Stories

616 Views, 24 Replies
01-08-2013 06:33 AM

When for some elements that are out of the height of a storey we try manually to change the storey in which they were initially defined, an error message appears: “The element is defined on a storey different from the assigned one“ and after that we are not able to run the analysis.

Is there a way that we can normally assign a storey to elements that are out of the height of it?

(In the attached example i firstly defined a storey and then I manually changed the storey of some elements from the inspector dialog box).

Please use plain text.
Product Support

Re: Assigning Stories

01-08-2013 06:38 AM in reply to: Tuctas

Geometry \ Stories \ Assign Manually

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.

01-08-2013 10:06 AM in reply to: Tuctas

The result is the same: the stories are defined (and modified) o.k but the analysis is interapted.

Please use plain text.
Product Support

01-09-2013 12:21 AM in reply to: Tuctas

Send me model

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.

01-09-2013 01:50 AM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Although i cut my model, i neglected-deleted different kind of a atributes that may cause a big space and then i ziped it, it is still a large file so i am not able to send it (>1.60MB).

Please use plain text.
Product Support

01-09-2013 02:04 AM in reply to: Tuctas

Post the link to file generated by www.filemail.com or www.wetransfer.com service

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Product Support

01-11-2013 01:48 AM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

This error message is related to geometrical check of objects assigned stories.

Stories in robot are not architectural stories (just a group of elements with “story” property). Robot produces calculation results for stories

so if geometrically elements are wrongly assigned it may lead to wrong stories results and error message is reported.

So if you do not care about stories results just turn off automatic verification in job preferences.

st2.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.

01-11-2013 10:07 AM in reply to: Tuctas

Thank you Rafal for your answer.

I can’t say that my question is fully covered because my intention was to use the results of stories (otherwise I wouldn’t make the question..).

I suppose that it is the way that Robot works as concerns the definition of stories and we can’t include members out of the height of a storey. In the attached example there is not any “wrong” assignment, members belonging to that balcony should belong to the storey below and not to the upper one.   

For example, if someone wants to detect the change of mass along the height of a structure (as it is asked sometimes in EC8) the right way is to include these (“wrongly assigned”) members in to the storey below and not in to the above one. 

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

01-13-2013 11:11 PM in reply to: Tuctas

What about replacing the 'red' part of the model with masses (loads converted into masses)? This part doesn't look like an important structural one :smileyhappy:

The story approach has got some limitations mainly because of the way of calculating results for them.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.

01-14-2013 12:03 AM in reply to: Tuctas

Hi Artur,

Yes, manually the user can do some "tricks" to consider what he wants, i was wonderring if though the definition of stories it could be automatically done.

One more question: What if the option that is shown in the attached screen capture is unchecked? What does this optiom really mean? (i thought maybe it could do what i was trying with those "red" members but it didn't).

Please use plain text.