Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

walls piers creating a void

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
redsox
2043 Views, 5 Replies

walls piers creating a void

in 2009 we were able to add walls add piers and then create a void so that the wall and piers look as one IE: no lines. now in 2010 and 2011 can't seem to figure out how to do this so now i have a wall and a pier and the pier when plotted out looks like a square inside the wall. see attached. if anyone has any information it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You in adnvance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lzaras1
in reply to: redsox

may seem like a silly question but, have you checked to make sure that your walls and your piers are of the same material? 

I'm using RS2010, and if my piers look like your third (not OK) example, I'm able to "Join" the walls and piers; but only if they are the same material.

Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional

Message 3 of 6
redsox

that does not work for us because they are not the same family, the piers are made from columns and the walls are well walls. tried joining but when you pick one it wont let you pick the other.

Message 4 of 6
lzaras1

Hmmm.  Worked in my model with a (generic rectangular) column family I created using the material: Masonry - Concrete Masonry Units and my wall being made from an edited OOTB wall (Basic Wall: Exterior - 4" Brick on 8" CMU) with material: Masonry - Concrete Masonry Units.  I just made sure that the material I was using in both was the exact same. 

I've seen cases where, when using concrete, there may be two different concretes ... those will NOT join because there is something that is distinctly different about the materials (ie. strength, or weight.)

I haven't worked in 2011, yet. So maybe there's something up?

Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional

Message 5 of 6
lawrencerobinson5
in reply to: lzaras1

I'm assuming the pier is a column and my answer is based on that.  If your cut plane runs through the pier then: If the base of the column/pier is below the base of the wall then they will display as separated, where as if the column/pier and wall have the same base the will appear as one.  If your cut plane is above the pier then: If the top of pier and top of wall are at different levels or if the bottoms are at different levels, they will appear as separated.

Lawrence

Message 6 of 6
phoulx
in reply to: lawrencerobinson5

Years after the OP, same problem.  Like the attachment shows, the top of pier is 8" below the top of wall and essentially cuts a void out of the top of the wall. 

Can a void extrusion be added to the concrete pier (column) family that will automatically cut the walls?  I've used a void modelled in place if I have a couple piers and it works perfectly.  If I have 20-50 piers though, it's just not a smart use of time. 

I made a pier family with a void at the top and the "Cuts with voids when loaded" box checked in Family Category & Parameters.  This works somewhat but does not automatically cut the wall.  I still have to use the Cut tool for each one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report