Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hatch bearing wall under floor still not possible in Revit Structure?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Denv70
543 Views, 5 Replies

hatch bearing wall under floor still not possible in Revit Structure?

At the moment we are testing a trial version of Revit Structure as we want to start with 3D and BIM modelling. 

When we draw a structural floor in Europe/Netherlands it is standard procedure (even regarding official Dutch guidelines) that we give the bearing walls/columns under the floor a hatch pattern. This way it is clear that the element is bearing. 

It is an understatement to say I was kind of disappointed to see that it is still not possible in Revit Structure.  I know there are workarounds with two views or separate regions but this should be a standard option in a Revit Structure view.  

Why isn't there an option to choose to give elements under a floor a hatch pattern?  In my opinion this is a big fail.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
awes
in reply to: Denv70

Welcome to the forum. Please check that

-  you in your view properties have chosen view direction up,

- your view range has a cut plane under the floor and top plane above floor

I suppose your are trying to look at the floor from underneath with a mirror?

Any help?

Message 3 of 6
Denv70

Thank you for your answer.

No, I am not looking from under the floor but I am in regular view from above. Cutting walls and columns on the floor is as it should be, hidden lines of the elements under the floor are also fine. But I would like to have those elrments hatched.

I read somewhere that is not possible and that surprised me.
Message 4 of 6
ddevries

Is there any news about solving this problem? I am really flabbergasted there is not more discussion about this as in my opinion (and all of my collegues... ) this a basic function every 3D/BIM program should have. 

Here in Europe/The Netherlands it is in fact a documented standard to hatch the bearing elements (walls, columns) under the floor. And it also makes a  lot of sense: an engineer in our field is so much more interested in bearing walls and columns under the floor then elements above the floor.  

I am aware of workarounds with two or more views but in bigger projects that is not very practical.  You have to filter and hide elements and make them transparant and you only see what you are doing when you watch the doubled view on your sheet. And still the endresult is not like you wanted it to be.

I this something that has the attention of the programmers of Autodesk?  I get the feeling they have very little knowledge of how engineering company's work.

Message 5 of 6
bbirdsell

In our firm we use the "Structural Disicpline" in the view properies to show the structural elements below the slab/floor in dashed/hidden lines. A structural Plan must also be used. Is that the functionally you are asking about? Then it's just a matter of setting up a visiblity temple if I recall correctly. I haven't had to change our production template in a while. 

Message 6 of 6
ddevries
in reply to: bbirdsell

Sorry no.  Hidden lines are fine but the hatching of the walls under the floor is what is missing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report