Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confusing Revit Arch and Structural

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MKH-VB
454 Views, 6 Replies

confusing Revit Arch and Structural

Just starting to play around with revit. We have structure as part of the infrastructure suite. It also has an architectural tab in revit.  I have been tooling around drawing walls, and then go to add windows. For some reason, I am not able to add windows, only window openings. I think I am getting the structural and arch elements confused. Why would I not be able to add windows? These same types of things have been happening with doors too. I think my workflow is messed up. Any guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

MKH

mkh
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: MKH-VB

Usually on a structural template, only structural elements will be modeled but in case you need to use an architectural element in a structural template, you need to know the workflow on how architectural element works with level views.

Here is a video with sounds that may help you to understand it better.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/5289a6ec-03f1-4d45-af2f-88111ef9d6cc

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 7
MKH-VB
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

thanks for the link. Do you know if I can get the "out of the box" architectural template for revit 2014 anywhere? I have revit structure, and it only came with 1 project template (it is a structural template).

mkh
Message 4 of 7
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

You could always download the demo version and get the files from there.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 7
Melnyk

MKH

The default Window for your Structural template is an opening only, which is generally all that is required in a Structural model. If you require to see an Architectural window, then a relevant family can be loaded from your library to replace the opening. This also applies to Doors. Not sure that you need to go down the route of using an Architectural template if you are doing a Structural model.
Message 6 of 7
MKH-VB
in reply to: Melnyk

I have been charged by the bosses to create a building on a site. I am not creating a complete design, I just need to do the outside, so the adjacent landowners can see what it will look like. How would I do that, since I have revit structure and not arch? That is what is confusing me.
mkh
Message 7 of 7
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Well If you have an Arch. template, at least you will have more wall types selection, instead of creating them using the structure option in the wall properties.

If you just need to model the exterior only, to optimze the work thes best way is using Massing. Once you know how it works you will always use it.

Here is a video with sounds that shows an example of how to model with Massing

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/e87c0ee4-d03a-4352-b448-d17fcf010c85

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report