Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

column tag with comment

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
DParkRMAK
1609 Views, 8 Replies

column tag with comment

I am trying to get my custom column tag to show the comment parameter value. Is it possible to make the comment an instance parameter instead of a type parameter?

The only way I can get it to work is by making a type parameter. I would like to be able to turn it on as an instance parameter only when needed instead of making a type for each variation.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: DParkRMAK

Unfortunately, Tags are not able to be controlled by Instance Parameters. You will have to create a separate Family Type for each configuration.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
DParkRMAK
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ah, thanks. That is what I ended up doing but it would be nice to be able to have some instance features in tags.

On a similar note, I was trying to use a label family for the tag so I could control the position of the text and ran into a problem with the parameters not being available in a generic annotation family. Is there a way to link structural colum tag parameters to the nested label family? I tried a few things but with no success.

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: DParkRMAK

No - it is not possible to have a Label from an embedded Family report the Parameters available in a host Tag Family. However, if you are just aiming to control the location of the Label, then all you have to do is Group the Label along with a Reference Line. Now you can apply the necessary constraints to the Reference Line(s) and the Label will move along with it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9

We use instance parameters in tags all the time. What kind of limitations are you seeing?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 6 of 9

For example, if you add a Yes/No Instance Parameter to a Tag Family. When it is loaded and placed in a Project, the Yes/No Instance Parameter is not available under Properties when the Tag is selected.

Message 7 of 9

Yeah, we haven't had great luck with yes/no instance parameters. But we use text-based instance fields (like Comments) in a lot of tags with no issues.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 8 of 9

In reporting Instance Parameters (i.e., including the Parameter in a Label), there is no problem. The issue here becomes apparent if you open a Tag Family and then add any kind of Instance Parameter to the Tag Family (under Family Types), not to the Label. When an instance of the Tag is selected in the Project, none of the Instance Parameters are present under the Tag's Properties.

Message 9 of 9
DParkRMAK
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your input.

I guess the text position constraint can't be an instance parameter. It would be nice to be able to drag and adjust the text position. It seems it can only be controlled by type.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report